Chapter 5: ⓜⓐⓡⓘⓝⓐ

Chapter 5: Marina

This chapter is unedited, so sorry for any mistakes. Feel free to point them out in the comments, just please don't be rude ;)

I haven't dedicated this to anyone because there is no-one to dedicate it to! :O I might choose someone later, I don't know.

Okay, enough rambling, enjoy!

     Almost a week later and I had still managed to say the bare minimum to Holland. He had tried every single way to get my attention and make me laugh, but I just wasn't in the mood. Deep down in my ever-logical (pfft) brain, I knew I should stop being such a baby and move on, but one, I had almost no emotional attachment to Holland, and two, I was starting to like the way Holland would cook me dinner and make me breakfast in bed and bring home flowers every day.

     Besides, it was Friday, the day before the Crimson Ball, and inside I was giddy with excitement. Around Rayne, at least.

     I had made an agreement with Holland. He was letting me stay with Rayne on Saturday afternoon so we could prepare for the Ball together. Then he would pick me up and drive me to the abandoned village hall where the Ball had always been and would always be held.

     After dinner, Holland and I sat on our bed, organising our outfits so we would colour co-ordinate.

     "Look, Holland, I'll just buy a dress tomorrow. No big deal," I said, slightly frustrated. It was just a damn dress.

     "We'll go now," he said, grabbing my hand. I pulled away, still not having totally forgiven him. His face fell a little. At least I was talking to him now.

     "Let's go now, we still have time," he continued.

     I looked down at what I was wearing: a baggy t-shirt and pyjama shorts.

     "I have to get changed," I said.

     He grinned. "I'll wait by the door."

     I quickly pulled on some more fashionable and weather-appropriate clothes and ran to the doorway. I grabbed my coat and we jumped in Holland's car to avoid getting soaked by the rain.

     After the short drive to the village, we parked right outside the dress shop and dodged in.

     The grey-haired lady standing at the counter jumped when we came in, but her face lit up when she saw us.

     "Marina!" Alexine said, holding out her arms. We hugged each other tightly. This lady had been my adopted grandma ever since my own died when I was two.

     "What brings you here?" she asked.

     "A dress, believe it or not. For the Crimson Ball."

     "Aaaah." She gave me a knowing look, then peered around me to look at Holland, who looked awkward, despite the fact that it was his idea to come in the first place.

     "And am I correct in assuming this gentleman is your date?" she said.

     'Gentleman'? Since when?

     "Close enough. I'm her...mate," Holland replied.

     Not yet, bucko, I thought.

     Again with the knowing look from Alexine.

     "Anyway," I interrupted. "Do you think there's enough time to fit a dress?"

     "I've always got time, love." Alexine smiled and ushered me to the back of the shop, where she kept all her dresses.