Chapter 6: ⓜⓐⓡⓘⓝⓐ

Chapter 6: Marina

***At the end, there's quite a graphic scene. If you're not old enough or can't deal with it...um. I don't know. But just as a big warning. Don't say I didn't warn you.***

     Holland and I walked through the huge oak doors that led to the village hall where the Ball was always held. A few packs were already there, like the McLaughlin, MacLeod and the Ferguson clans. Very few people were dancing, feeling too shy. The only people on the dance floor were the more elderly, who weren't self-conscious at all.

     As we walked in further, we saw several people from our clan pack. For a start, Rayne and her parents.

     "Holland, give me a moment," I said and let go of his hand, making my way over to Rayne.

     "Is Cheshire here yet?" I asked at the exact same moment as Rayne remarked, "Well, you two make quite the couple."

     We laughed.

     "Yeah, Chesh is here already. In fact, he asked me for the first dance!" Rayne squealed.

     "Ohmygoshyou'lltouch," I rushed out.

     "I know!" Rayne and I were jumping up and down on the spot.

     Someone tapped my shoulder and I turned to see Holland, his usual teasing smile on his face.

     "May I have the first dance, Miss Barrett?" he said and held out his hand. I took it, so he led me to the dance floor.

     The music was slow, so we held each other close.

     "Can I say how absolutely stunning you look this evening?" Holland whispered in my ear.

     "You can," I whispered back, with a smile on my face.

     "Promise me all the dances, Marina."

     "I can't do that. You can't have me all evening. Every day I'm yours. What more do you want?"

     "I...I."

     I knew what he had stopped himself from saying. Way to ruin the moment by asking him what he wanted, I thought bitterly.

     We carried on slow dancing, not speaking a word to each other even though there were so many things I wanted to say. I moved my head backwards to see Holland's expression much the same as I was sure mine looked like. However, he smiled weakly and we gently rocked back and forth to the pace of the music.

     As the song went on, everyone and everything slowly melted away. Only we existed, in my mind.

     A thought suddenly struck my mind, which caused me to freeze all activity in my brain. As much as I didn't want it to be possible, it was coming true. The idea both scared and warmed me.

     Afterwards, Holland went to dance with Lelune, so Thor asked me for a dance. The music was a bit jollier, so we faced each other as we weaved in and out of other partners.

     "How are you getting on with Holland?" he asked, as any good alpha would.

     "Perfectly," I replied.

     "How come he hasn't marked your shoulder yet?"

     Why was that always the first or second question out of people's mouths? Seriously, it is none of their business.

     "I'm not ready," I said lamely.

     Thor made a 'tsk' sound and looked at me disappointedly, but then smiled to show he was joking.