Chapter 7 My shining light

March 1915

As the moon begins to rise above the horizon, Fuyumi's eyes fluttered open and a yawn escaped her mouth. She stretched her arms lazily before getting the blanket off her, revealing her companion sleeping peacefully on her stomach. She reached out with her right hand and stroked its feathers gently for a while. The bird slowly opened its eyes and stretched out its neck before shaking the drowsiness away.

Fuyumi: "Good morning, ready for today as well? * Fuyusaki chirps back * Alright."

Fuyusaki flew onto its partner's shoulder as Fuyumi got out of bed. After freshening herself for the day, she grabbed her dinner and sat with her best friends, and the usual things happen like any other day to her, until.

Minnie: "Fuyu-chan, we'll be leaving this base tonight."

Fuyumi: "Eh, why? We can still fight them, can't we?"

Minnie: "We can, but with increasing Neuroi presence and the low number of witches, High Command has deemed the area as a lost cause. To increase our chances of fighting back, we will be consolidating our defences in Gallia. The evacuation of Belgica's citizens was completed a few days prior thanks to the army. Now it's our turn to pull back. Goetsenhoven Air Base will be abandoned, and we will join up in Gallia."

Fuyumi: "*Gives a sad expression and tone*So, what do I do now?"

Minnie: "For you, however, *Also has a sad expression and tone* As much as I hate it, you'll be acting as our rear-guard covering our withdrawal. The withdrawal will take place at 2000hrs, under the cover of darkness. Since you're the only active Night Witch, you are the only one who will hold them back. The others are either recovering from their injuries... or no longer with us...

Once all units have been pulled out, head to the sea, not back to Gallia. *Pulls out a map* Britanian Seaplane carrier Riviera will be here awaiting your arrival. *Points at the map exactly where she was told that the carrier would be*

Britanian Fleet Air Arm witches, but they will take time to reach you."

Fuyumi: "*Says with a determined face* I understand. I'll do my duty that is required of me. Also, I can't just run from it knowing that if I don't, I would lose my precious family here."

Charlotte: "We'll carry your things out of here, so no need to worry about it *Snots* Don't you dare die on us, we'll be waiting for you." She hugs Fuyumi and begins to cry as if that was the last time, they'd see each other, and she strokes her hair gently.

Minnie: "Fuyu-chan, this is an order from me. Come back alive, no matter what."

Fuyumi: "Even if that wasn't an order, I intend on coming back to you both, no matter what. Because I still have a dream to fulfil, and I don't wish to leave my family here and back in Fuso to mourn my loss."

She finishes her dinner, wears her Intercom in her ear, her scarf around her neck and gloves on her hand, before walking out of the tent, and goes towards the hangar with the cold wind blowing towards her, her hair flowing gently with the wind.

Upon arriving, she hoped into her striker unit, followed by her feathers popping out, and her grabbing her gun. After making all the necessary preparations, she got to the runway, but as she was taking off, she halted at the last possible second.

Minnie: "Here *Passes her a box with a strap on it* Take it. As the saying goes, no army can fight on an empty stomach."

Fuyumi: "Thanks. I almost forgot about that, but I guess that's what happens after just waking up."