Chapter 3: Baptism by fire

December 1914

In a tent, two girls were sleeping cozily. The winter season brought along nice cold weather, ideal for people to sleep for longer periods of time. However, not everyone is the same. In another tent, something is brewing up as the first of the three is awake.

Using the available ingredients, she cooked several of the local dishes she learned. She makes Fusoan-style pancakes, Onigiris, and Fusoan-style fruit sandwiches, and though not authentic but close it was enough, Miso soup to warm themselves amidst the cold weather. She then proceeds to lay them on the table, not far from the kitchen, before heading to wake them up.

Fuyu: "Char, Mi, time to wake up. Breakfast is ready. * Gets no response * Still not waking up, then I'll do this. * Pulls the blanket from them * Come on, it's going to get cold in a little while."

Charlotte/Minnie: "* Struggles out of bed * We're up. * Yawns *"

Fuyumi: "Go get yourselves ready for the day." She exited the tent as the other two got themselves ready for the day, and after a little while, they were all in the tent.

Charlotte: "Fuyu, what gives? We won't be expecting the Neuroi to attack in this weather."

Fuyumi: "We will never know if that is true. We must be always alert, no matter what."

Minnie: "As much as I want to sleep in a little more, you're right. We can never be sure if they'll stay down with this kind of weather. So best if we stay on our toes."

Fuyumi: "Yeah."

Charlotte: "By the way, what are those on the table?"

Fuyu: "Oh, these are my homeland's delicacies. I don't have the actual ingredients used to make them, so I had to resort to substitutes. But the taste is close to the original. Trust me, it's good. Just try them out."

Minie: "If you say so."

Minie/Charlotte: "Thanks for the meal. * Takes a bite *"

Charlotte: "This is good! What is this?"

Fuyumi: "That would be the fruit sandwiches."

Minnie: "And this?"

Fuyumi: "That would be the pancakes, I also made Onigiris and some soup. I've made enough so help yourselves. * Eats her breakfast *" The three ate while having some small conversations until Fuyumi had a question for them.

Fuyumi: "Um, what are your familiars? I know we've been together for days, but we never asked each other this question."

Charlotte: "Now that you mention it, yeah, we haven't."

Minnie: "Then I'll start first. Mine is a Scottish Fold Cat. Its name is Christina."

Upon hearing its name, an orange cat with folded ears and an owl-like face walked up to its owner. It purred softly before leaping onto Minnie's lap.

Charlotte: "Mine is a Faraway Land Lynx called Lily."

A larger cat with long, dense fur and triangular ears with black tufts at the tip placed its forelimbs on the edge of the table. It peeked out and gave a mean glare at the other two.

Charlotte: "She looks like this, but she is very gentle. * Strokes Lily's head *"

Fuyumi: "Heh. Then that means mine's the smallest. Mine is a Fusoan Night Heron, her name is Fuyusaki."

The white Heron flew onto Fuyumi's shoulder. Upon landing, the two cats stared at the bird like a predator sizing up its prey. Fuyusaki flinched at the sight of the two felines.