Chapter 28 : The truth Unveiled

Warning : Mention of sexually assault and sensitive topic

*Amaras pov **

I was drifting through a dream, a hazy mix of laughter and music, the kind of memories that felt distant yet close enough to touch. Suddenly, the scene shifted, and I found myself at a party-loud, colorful, and chaotic. My friends were there, and the excitement was intoxicating. I could feel the warmth of the alcohol coursing through me, making everything feel lighter, funnier. But then, like a dark cloud rolling in, the atmosphere changed.

But then, like a dark cloud rolling in, the atmosphere changed.

Suddenly, a hand grasped my arm, firm yet familiar. "Come on, Amara, are you okay ? Let me help you ," It was Daniel, someone I thought I could trust, his smile bright but his intentions hidden beneath a veneer of friendliness. I hesitated, sensing something off, but I was too intoxicated to care. He led me upstairs

As we ascended the staircase, I stumbled, the alcohol weighing me down. In the dim room, his demeanor shifted. "Don't worry, I've got you," he said, but his eyes told a different story. Panic surged as he pushed me against the wall, and suddenly, I was trapped, powerless. My pleas for help were swallowed by the music, and darkness swallowed my reality

I wanted to scream, to fight, but I felt frozen, paralyzed as he leaned closer. "You'll like this," he whispered, and in that moment, I knew I was no longer safe. He pushed me onto the bed and had his way. The walls closed in, my vision blurring, and darkness swallowed my reality.

Jolted awake, I gasped, my heart racing as tears streamed down my face, soaking the pillow beneath me. I was drenched in sweat, the remnants of the nightmare clinging to me like a heavy shroud. Desperate for comfort, I looked to my side and found Aiden looking concerned sitting beside my bed, his presence a beacon in the overwhelming darkness.

I instinctively reached out for him, burying my face in his shoulder.

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I clung to Aiden, mumbling incoherent words that barely formed in my throat. "He... I... he..." My voice trembled, breaking under the weight of the memories. The words tumbled out in a rush, "He took advantage of me." The moment those words escaped, I felt the dam within me break.

Aiden didn't interrupt; he simply held me close, his strong arms enveloping me as I soaked his shirt with my tears. I cried until my voice was hoarse and my body felt drained, releasing all the pain and fear that had been trapped inside for so long.

After what felt like an eternity, I pulled away gently, wiping my nose with the back of my hand, embarrassed at the mess I had made. Aiden looked at me with an intensity that made my heart flutter despite the heaviness of the moment. His eyes were filled with anger, but not towards me-towards what had happened to me.

"Amara..." he whispered, wiping away my tears with his thumb, his touch gentle yet firm.

I took a shaky breath, the warmth of his gaze encouraging me to keep going. "I never told anyone," I began, my voice quaking with vulnerability. "I thought if I buried it deep enough, it would go away. But it didn't."

I looked down at my hands, recalling every detail, every moment of betrayal. "I was so drunk that night, and he was supposed to be my friend... but he wasn't." My voice caught in my throat, and I felt another wave of tears threatening to spill. "He led me upstairs, and... and then it happened. I couldn't fight back. I didn't want to believe it was happening."

Aiden's grip on me tightened, his presence a steady reminder that I wasn't alone anymore. "I'm so sorry, Amara," he murmured, his voice thick with emotion. "You didn't deserve that. None of it was your fault."

I nodded, but the heaviness in my chest remained. I wasn't sure if I would ever truly feel free from the memories.

The silence hung heavy between us, punctuated only by the soft patter of rain against the window. Aiden's eyes searched mine, filled with a mix of concern and determination. "Amara, I want you to know that this was not your fault and you can talk to me about anything. I'm here for you."

His words wrapped around me like a warm blanket, but the memories still felt raw. "I just... I didn't want anyone to see me as broken," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper. "I thought if I kept it hidden, it would disappear. But it's always there, lurking in the shadows."

"I can't even begin to understand how hard this has been for you," Aiden said softly, brushing a stray hair from my face. "But what happened doesn't define you. You're so much more than that night."

I let out a shaky breath, feeling a flicker of hope ignite within me. "I don't know how to move past it," I confessed. "It feels like I'm trapped in a loop of pain and fear."

Aiden's gaze hardened, the anger I saw earlier flaring back to life. "You're not trapped. You're stronger than you realize, Amara. Every day you wake up and choose to keep going- that's courage. I admire that."

I looked away, not fully believing his words. "You barely know me," I said, trying to deflect. "How can you say that?"

"I know enough," he replied firmly, his expression unwavering. "I see the way you've fought to reclaim your life, the way you're slowly allowing yourself to trust again. That takes strength."

His faith in me felt both foreign and comforting. "Sometimes it feels easier to just hide," I admitted, the vulnerability spilling out. "To pretend that everything is fine. But I don't want to live like that anymore."

"I get that," Aiden said, his voice gentle but resolute. "But you don't have to do it alone. Let me help you."

I wanted to believe him. I wanted to lean into this connection we were building, but the shadows of my past still loomed large. "What if I drag you down with me?" I asked, the fear spilling from my lips. "What if I'm too broken for anyone else to handle?"

"Amara," Aiden said, his tone serious, "if anyone drags me down, it'll be me choosing to stay by your side. I want to be here for you, through the good and the bad."

His words struck a chord deep within me, resonating with something I had long since buried. Maybe I didn't have to face everything alone. Maybe, just maybe, I could let someone in.

As I sat there, wrapped in the warmth of his presence, a flicker of resolve ignited within me. "Okay," I said, my voice steadying. "I'll try. I'll try to let you in."

Aiden smiled, a genuine, radiant smile that lit up his face. "That's all I ask."

"I won't push you," he promised softly, his expression earnest. "We'll go at your pace. I'm just glad you're here with me."

And in that moment, I realized how much I wanted to be here with him too. Aiden had become a safe haven amidst my storm, a guiding light in my darkest moments.

"Thank you," I whispered, feeling the weight of my words as they hung between us.

He nodded, the connection deepening, a silent understanding passing between us.

-----
AN/