Chaoter 25

The sun peeked through my curtains, pulling me from my sleep. My phone buzzed on the bedside table. I reached for it and saw Aiden's name.

Aiden: Hey, are you free today? I have a surprise for you.

Curiosity and hesitation swirled in my stomach.

Amara: Sure. What's the surprise?

Aiden: You'll see. Just be ready in an hour.

After dressing in a sundress, I felt a mix of excitement and trepidation as Aiden arrived.

"Ready for an adventure?" he asked, flashing a grin. I smiled in response and got into the passenger seat. His car smelled like him , a mixture of leather and a hit of wood. Safe and very much like Aiden

As we drove along winding roads, the salty air filled the car. I had no idea where we were going but I was too happy to care. Aiden asked if I wanted to play any music and I nodded , guiding my hands to the stereo and connecting my phone to it . I made a song selection and soon Wildflower by Billie Eilish played softly from the speaker.

I hummed along to it slowly and stuck my head out of the open window. The wind was strong yet gentle against my face and I felt so free as I felt it combing through my hair.

Slowly we arrived at our destination. I wasn't quite sure where we were. Aiden put the car in reverse and got out. I followed suit. Looking out I noticed we were at a beach and my breath caught at the stunning view of turquoise waves crashing against cliffs.

"Wow," I said, stepping out. It was everything I could imagine . The air was damp. The smell was amazing and the view was breathtaking. I had to do a double take to check that this wasn't a dream.

"I figured you'd like it," Aiden replied, his eyes sparkling. It reminded me of you.

We walked toward the water, my heart racing with each step. Aiden glanced at me, his expression turning serious.

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden hue over the beach as Aiden and I strolled along the water's edge. The sound of waves crashing against the shore was soothing, a gentle reminder that nature had a way of healing. I had never imagined that a day at the beach could feel this peaceful.

We walked in silence for a while, and I stole glances at him. His features were relaxed, but there was a hint of something deeper in his eyes-something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Finally, he broke the silence.

"You know," he began, kicking at the sand, "there's something about being here that makes it easier to talk." He looked out at the horizon, his expression distant. "I used to come here a lot with my sister."

I turned to him, curiosity piqued. "Your sister?"

He nodded slowly, taking a deep breath. "Yeah. She was... everything to me. I always wanted to protect her, but when she got sick, I felt so helpless. I wanted to fix things, but there was nothing I could do." His voice was thick with emotion, and I felt a pang of sympathy for him. "I was just a kid. I thought if I loved her enough, it would be enough to make everything better."

A heavy silence fell between us. I could feel the weight of his words settling around us, and my heart ached for him. It was clear how much he cared, how deeply he had loved and lost.

"I can't imagine how hard that must have been," I said softly, wanting to comfort him but unsure how to bridge the gap between our experiences. "It's hard to feel powerless."

He turned to me, and our eyes locked. "That's why I want to help you, Amara. I see so much strength in you, but I also see the pain you carry. I don't want you to feel like you're alone in this."

His words struck a chord within me. I wanted to tell him how much his support meant to me, but the walls I had built were still up, keeping my true feelings at bay. Instead, I simply nodded, grateful yet hesitant.

"I don't know if I can let anyone in the way you want me to," I admitted, my voice barely above a whisper.

He stepped closer, a glimmer of understanding in his eyes. "You don't have to rush it. Just know that I'm here for you. Whenever you're ready."

A silence enveloped us again, but this one felt different-charged with unspoken emotions. The sun dipped lower, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink, and I felt an inexplicable pull toward him, an urge to close the gap that separated us.

In that moment, my heart raced as I made a choice. I took a step closer, my breath hitching as I looked up at him. The world around us faded, leaving just the two of us under the stunning sky.

I leaned in, brushing my lips against his in a tentative kiss. It felt electrifying, a culmination of everything we had shared-his pain, my walls. I pulled back, searching his eyes for any sign of hesitation.

Aiden was looking at me with a mixture of surprise and delight, his lips curling into a smile that lit up his entire face. "Wow," he breathed, his voice thick with awe.

"Yeah," I replied, my heart still racing. I felt a flicker of hope, a promise of something more.