Part 1

The following that I share with you are not my own thoughts or opinions. What I will share with you are facts verified by research and by the people themselves who brought about this great event. After much research into the lives and histories of the prominent members of the house of Perenem I have attempted to make a cognizant record of the events before the great war so as to make clear some events that have been held in contention. What you do with this information is up to you. Whether you believe it or throw it away as another work of fiction is also up to you.

But know this: I was there.

When speaking of the House of Perenem one cannot help but bring to mind famous names such as Theo of Perenm, Sebastian, and Oliver and Ophelia. But the most famous name of all, and the most controversial would be the name of Lionel. Also known as Lionel of Perenm, Prince Lionel, or simply The Perenm he single handedly brought the House of Perenem before the eyes of all the world.

The name of Lionel draws out unexpected emotions, some love him some hate him. For Lionel this is nothing new. From a very young age he was aware of the disharmony his very existence produced.

When Lionel was born his mother died, and death seemed to follow him from that day on. He was always sick. Doctors came and went. Some said he had a bad heart, others said he had bad lungs, still others proposed quite emphatically that his humours were out of balance and he needed to be bled. Despite their differing views they all agreed on one thing: "The crown prince of Mount Alke is sure to die before his tenth birthday".

The officials and governors of the land all agreed that this would not do. To the king they brought their petition which read as follows:

"Oh king (live forever!), your glorious reign has just begun. It is but four years that you have sat on this great throne. King Julian, your father before you (may his name live forever in the heart of his people) conquered many peoples with bravery and mighty works of valour and was thus set as king on the throne at Mount Alke. Yet he, even he, in his courage and might, found an heir from among his sons as he sat on the throne at Mount Alke.

"O king, live forever, as has been done in the past let us do so today. Let the king bring forth an heir from among his sons to sit on the throne of Mount Alke! Let not the king mourn and let not his face be sad for the wife of his youth, but choose for himself a queen to reign at his side, and to give him a son, to sit on the throne of Mount Alke."

King Leonard did not want to listen to the request of the officials and of the people. For a long time Malcolm, younger brother to the king, stood in between the king and his people. He shouldered the weight of the people's wrath and shielded his grieving brother from the worst of the official's scorn. Yet even he could only do so much and after two years of mourning king Leonard listened to his people's request and remarried.

For three long years the queen bore no heir. For five long years the frail little body of Prince Lionel hung limply between life and death until at length, the queen gave birth to a son. They called his name Theodore. The king presented him to his people as the prince born to sit on the throne of Mount Alke. The celebration that followed lasted well into the many days and many nights.

Five year old Prince Lionel lay alone in his room tired but robbed of sleep. The door creaked open and his cousin Sebastian entered. Sebastian was born in the same year as Lionel and his good health stood as a stark contrast to Lionel's failing health. Despite this, the two were the best of friends.

"Can I sleep here tonight?" Sebastian whispered cautiously; he didn't want to wake Lionel if he was already sleeping.

Lionel smiled to himself in the darkness, then moved over and patted the bed next to him.