Part 3

Oliver hadn't moved.

One moment it was just him and the boy called Lionel at the side of the road, then Lionel began to fall and out of the blue men flooded around them. Lionel was caught up and carried back into the coach. Oliver found himself ignored and relieved because of it.

He knew they had not forgotten about him; they just didn't consider him a threat. The every action of these men betrayed extreme military training and for the first time he was grateful for the intense lessons he had suffered under his Grandfather aboard ship.

The army of Es were sailors, Soldiers of the Sea, as his Grandfather called them. They were the greatest fighting force to ever sail the sea exhibiting perfect coordination in strategic operations.

According to his Grandfather's lessons the only mainland force that could contend with Es was the Mount Alke Military. Originally part of Vries, they had fought under the General Julian of Vries and, when he was granted kingship over Mount Alke, his men followed him to form the Mount Alke Military, which was now known as the most formidable land-based fighting force.

There was no doubt in Oliver's mind as to who these men were. But what connection did Lionel have to Mount Alke?

The same man who had caught Lionel before now approached Oliver. He was dressed differently than the rest and he seemed more formal, more restrained, more dignified, but no less dangerous.

Wondering why he hadn't run when he had the chance Oliver stood his ground. Accidental kidnapping or not all this man knew was what he had seen, and that evidence was pretty damaging for Oliver.

"You will come with me." His face was impassive, but his tone was imperative.

Oliver obeyed. The truth would have to wait for Lionel to wake up.

The way back into the village was a much different experience than the way out had been, obviously there were some tricks to driving a coach that Oliver had still to learn. They passed through Filos and continued northward up the coast until the road branched toward the desert cliffs. Not that far down a high white wall with solid wood gates crossed the road, blocking off any further progress for prohibited vehicles.

The gates opened as they neared and Oliver felt as if he had been transported into another world. All around him plants and trees grew as in defiance to the desert just a short distance away.
When the coach stopped Lionel's man carried Lionel away as if he weighed nothing, which was probably close to the truth. A soldier directed Oliver to a private guest room and as the door closed he heard a key turn in the lock. He was a prisoner, but at least he would be comfortable.

It took Lionel three days to recover. Three very, very long days in which Oliver explored every corner of the guest room. There were a lot of books, none of which he read. There was a fireplace with a chimney too small for him to fit through and, if he moved all the furniture to the edges of the room, there was a space big enough for him to run through some of the manoeuvres his Grandfather had taught him.

On the third day Philip came to his door said he was free to go and led him to the gate. As Oliver went to go Lionel's man grabbed his hand, pressed something into his palm saying in a low tone: "For when you return." Then he turned and walked back towards the house.

Oliver started on the long walk back to Filos. His Grandfather's ship would be anchored somewhere off the coast near the town. He would have to hire a boat to take him out, he looked at what Philip had put in his hand hoping it was money; it was not. Lionel had given him his personal token.

Some may have considered that a great gift, not Oliver, he had more pressing matters on his mind. He needed to get to the ship. And for that he needed money.