Letters

A Letter from Lionel to Sebastian

Dear Sebastian,

I got a friend. His name is Oliver. He kidnapped me, so I kidnapped him and now we are friends.

I don't know if he likes me but he came back after I set him free so maybe he does; or maybe he wants something from me. Anyway, when he came back he brought with him two things: A token, and an old book. The book is the journal written by our grandfather king Julian! The token is his as well. Oliver says he got them from his grandfather who was our grandfather's good friend.

The journal is very very interesting Sebastian, I think you would be interested too. He was the first king of Mount Alke remember? In his journal he wrote down all the plans he had that would turn Mount Alke into a self-sufficient and thriving kingdom. I guess his dream was forgotten when he died.

Sebastian, you should read some of the plans he has for Mount Alke! Try to imagine our stark grey military city into a place where people come to raise families and put down roots; that's what he wanted, that was his dream. What do you think? Is it a good dream?

Since reading the journal for the first time I have thought about it a lot. This dream that Grandfather had, I think it is my dream now too. I hope when you read this you feel the same way I do. I believe that if you and I have the same dream then we can work to make it real.

I have copied out the pieces of the journal where Grandfather writes of his plans and dreams and enclosed them with this letter. I hope you feel as I do.

Oliver sends greetings and wishes you a happy birthday for all the birthdays he did not send such wishes.

Your cousin and friend,

Lionel

A Letter from Lionel to Sebastian

Dear Lionel;

I do not know why but your letter was waylaid for some time and only just recently arrived. But what news it contained. A friend!

It makes me glad to hear that you have gained yourself a friend – even if this friend is rather suspicious and the friendship started out badly. I truly hope that, in the time that has passed since you wrote the letter, you have not lost this friend, and Oliver has proven himself a friend worth having.

I will first write of things that have happened here before I get to writing about the journal for that is much more interesting and if I start writing about it, I will forget everything else.

Theo is now seven years old; he and I still spend a lot of time together. He looks nearly identical to you, it is very strange. But although looks are the same your personalities are quite dissimilar. Little baby Benjamin is no longer a baby but is now six years old. He is such a quiet child, sometimes he is in a room and I don't even know he is there until he says something and I nearly fall off my seat. After that I felt bad because he has such expressive blue eyes that look so hurt when he realises you didn't even notice him. It is funny though because now he has taken to stamping his feet when he is in the same room as me. It helps but gets him weird looks from others.

Two months ago, High King Alistair arrived from Vries. He and the king spent many days in meeting behind closed doors, even the generals were not allowed to be present. Theodore was curious as always and he asked me if I knew a way to spy on them. Taking Benjamin along we were able to sneak right up to the servant's door in the second hallway that branches off the main hallway. Yet all our sneaking was in vain for we heard nothing.

The king stayed for two months and just left yesterday. When he came, he brought gifts for all the noble children; the boys got wooden swords. Of course, after that we had to do a demonstration to show who was best at using the sword and the king watched the whole time and he didn't even look bored. I think I would be bored if I had to watch a bunch of boys – who barely knew how to hold a sword – hit at each other for such a long time. I guess that's the difference between those who are kings and those who are just prince's sons.

Your little brother Benjamin liked him a lot. Benjamin was much too young to participate in all the fighting but King Alistair gave him a sword anyway and let him sit on his lap as he watched the fighting.

Now onto more interesting things.

Please tell Oliver I appreciate his Birthday wishes and wish them back upon him.

In all seriousness Lionel: Grandfather's dream can be our dream too. And, like you said, we have the opportunity to make this dream real. His plan is perfect, he must have been a great general because he thought of everything.

Is there more to the journal? If there is, I would like to read it.

I am very excited for our future plans together.

Eagerly waiting your reply,

Sebastian