CHAPTER 2

The grand chamber of the Council in Valyria was alive with tension, the air thick with the weight of urgency. Ornate stone columns rose to meet a high ceiling, their surfaces adorned with ancient carvings that whispered tales of dragons long past. The flickering torches cast dancing shadows across the faces of the gathered lords, their expressions a mix of anger, concern, and determination.

At the center of the chamber, the long, polished table gleamed like a battlefield awaiting its combatants. Lord Aeryon leaned forward, his brow furrowed as he addressed King Elnor, who sat regally at the head. "We must hunt this dragon," he asserted, his voice steady yet urgent. "We've coexisted with dragons for too long. How can we let this beast roam free?"

The murmurs of agreement rose from the other lords like a swelling tide. Vaedor's voice cut through the din, filled with fervor. "We cannot risk our people any longer! We've already sent thousands into the North to fight an unseen enemy."

Amid the turmoil, Maelein remained composed, her heart racing in her chest. The weight of her family's legacy pressed heavily upon her. She exchanged a glance with her brother, Elnor, whose calm demeanor contrasted sharply with the rising fervor around them.

As the tension escalated, Maelein stood, her resolve crystallizing. "We cannot kill this beast!" she exclaimed, the words ringing clear in the heavy air. The room fell into a hushed silence, all eyes turning toward her in anticipation.

Aeryon's voice dripped with skepticism. "And what do you propose, Princess? Allow it to continue its rampage? We cannot risk more lives!"

Maelein's eyes sparked with defiance as she met Aeryon's gaze. "And now you want to send a dragon to kill a dragon? Do you truly wish to dance with death? If we send one of our own to face another, mother will know! This beast may have burned villages and taken innocent lives, but it has lived longer than any of us can comprehend. It could be more than just a beast; it could be tied to our mother's legacy. Let me handle it, my king."

A palpable tension hung in the air as Maelein locked eyes with Elnor, the weight of their shared history evident in their silent exchange. Maelein's fingers gripped the edge of the table, her knuckles pale.

Lady Lysaenya leaned forward, skepticism etched across her features. "And what would you do, Princess? Sing a lullaby to it? If the dragon is free, it will not be bound by chains. You would have us believe that the dragon you arrived on was a free dragon, correct?"

With every word, Maelein felt the heat of the challenge rising within her. "it was no longer, it came to me"

Elnor's voice pierced through the tension, firm yet contemplative. "Has anyone here actually seen this dragon?"

A heavy silence settled over the table as each lord exchanged wary glances, doubt lingering in their expressions. Finally, Maelein broke the quiet, her voice steady and resolute as she spoke in High Valyrian: "Urnē ūndot." —I've seen the dragon

Elnor turned his gaze to Maelein, peering into her brown eyes as she focused intently on something beyond the present

Suddenly, he found himself soaring through a vast, turbulent sky, dark clouds swirling ominously above. Thunder rumbled in the distance, echoing the storm brewing in his heart. There, breaking through the chaos, a massive dragon emerged. Its scales were a deep obsidian, glistening with an otherworldly sheen as it cut through the air with powerful wings.

Elnor's breath caught in his throat, captivated by the beauty and ferocity of the creature. But then, another dragon appeared, its presence striking and ethereal. This dragon was white as snow, its scales shimmering like silk under the flashes of lightning. Its eyes were a brilliant blue, piercing and mesmerizing, like sapphires reflecting the sky.