1

Y/N’s breath hitched as she whispered, "Dad, I'm going to miss you." Her voice cracked, the weight of her sorrow unbearable as she knelt before the closed casket. The cemetery was eerily silent, the sun sinking below the horizon, casting the landscape in a pale, fading glow. Shadows stretched long across the ground, and the chill of the evening air wrapped around her, but nothing was colder than the emptiness that consumed her heart.

With trembling legs, Y/N rose slowly, her body weak from grief and exhaustion. She took one last, lingering glance at the casket, hoping—wishing—that somehow, her father would rise, smile at her, and say everything would be okay. But he didn't, and he never would again. The reality of his death hit her like a tidal wave, and the world felt suddenly too quiet without him.

She stumbled back to her car, her mind a chaotic storm of memories. Each one was a dagger, piercing her heart deeper. The sound of his laughter, his warm, comforting hugs, the way he would always know what to say when she needed guidance. Now he was gone, and she felt utterly lost.

Her phone buzzed, pulling her from her thoughts. She blinked at the screen, her vision blurred with unshed tears. The message was from her mother, a woman who had been a stranger to her for years.

I want you to move in with me now.

Y/N’s heart lurched, and a knot twisted in her stomach. She hadn’t seen her mother in years—not since she had walked out on her and her father. The woman had been a source of pain, disappointment, and bitterness. And now, after all this time, she wanted Y/N back in her life? The thought made her stomach churn. But what choice did she have? She was eighteen, alone, and drowning in the aftermath of her father's death.

For the past week, she had been trying—failing—to keep her life together. Bills were piling up, the house was falling apart, and she was barely holding on. The weight of the world was crushing her, and no matter how hard she tried, it was a losing battle.

Another message. This time, it was an address. Her mother’s new home.

Y/N’s eyes flicked back to the casket, a pang of longing slicing through her chest. She missed her dad so much it hurt. She wished more than anything that he could be there to guide her, to help her make sense of the chaos her life had become. But he wasn’t, and she had to figure it out alone.

With a heavy heart, Y/N got into her car and started the engine. The drive home was long and lonely, the familiar roads twisting through the fog of her memories. As she drove, her thoughts kept drifting back to her father, to the life they had shared. She smiled through her tears, remembering the small, silly arguments they used to have—about staying out too late, or hanging out with the wrong crowd. He had always been so protective, so full of love for her. That love had been her anchor, and now it was gone.

After what felt like an eternity, she arrived at her childhood home. The sight of the foreclosure sign nailed to the front lawn made her stomach churn. It felt like a cruel joke. The place where she had grown up, where she had felt safe, was now just another casualty of her father’s death.

She sprinted to the front door, only to find it locked. Frustration bubbled up inside her, and she kicked the door until the wood splintered under her foot. The moment she stepped inside, she was hit by a wave of nostalgia so powerful it nearly brought her to her knees. The familiar smell of her father’s cologne still lingered in the air, mingling with the scent of old wood and dust. But it wasn’t home anymore. Not without him.

Her phone buzzed again, another message from her mother.

I’m on my way.