COLLATERAL DAMAGE

Roxanne stood outside the door, taking a deep breath to calm her racing heart. She raised her fist and knocked on the thick wooden door, an anticipatory smile playing on her lips. Footsteps echoed from inside, approaching the entrance. She could already feel the relief, the warmth of seeing Selene again—until the door swung open.

"Who the hell are you?" Roxanne demanded, confusion twisting her face as she stared at the woman standing in the doorway. She had expected Selene, not this.

The woman scoffed, arms crossed defensively as she leaned against the doorframe. "Her girlfriend. Who the hell are you?" Vivian snapped, her words laced with venom.

Roxanne blinked, her mind reeling as the word girlfriend echoed in her ears. "I—I must have the wrong apartment," she stammered, her embarrassment surging as she instinctively took a step back, her heart sinking.

Vivian raised an eyebrow, clearly unimpressed. "Yeah, I bet you do," she muttered under her breath, narrowing her eyes at Roxanne, almost daring her to stay.

Before Roxanne could turn to flee from the awkward confrontation, Selene's voice rang out from deeper inside the apartment. "Who's at the door?"

Selene emerged from the hallway, her hair damp and a towel slung lazily over her shoulders, droplets of water still clinging to her skin. The moment she saw Roxanne standing in the doorway, her face paled. "Roxanne!" she gasped, her voice filled with a mix of shock and guilt. "Wait!"

But Roxanne had already turned on her heel, her heels clicking sharply on the polished floor as she marched toward the elevator. Anger boiled in her chest—anger at Selene for letting her walk into this mess, and at herself for getting caught up in it.

"Roxanne, please, stop!" Selene's voice grew desperate as she chased after her. She grabbed Roxanne's arm gently, but with enough force to make her pause. "Let me explain."

Roxanne spun around, yanking her arm free. "Explain? You have a girlfriend, Selene! What is there to explain?" Her voice cracked, frustration bubbling beneath her calm façade.

Selene's eyes widened in panic. "Girlfriend? No! She's not—Vivian isn't my girlfriend!" she insisted, running a hand through her wet hair in exasperation. "It's not like that!"

"Not like that?" Roxanne spat, her eyes flashing with anger. "Then why did she answer the door and call herself your girlfriend? You've been playing both sides, haven't you?"

Selene's voice shook with urgency. "I swear to you, Roxanne, it's nothing like that. Vivian thinks we're something we're not, but I never said we were together."

Roxanne looked at her, disbelief etched on her face. "You're telling me she's making this all up in her head?" Her tone was sharp, her trust in Selene crumbling with each word.

"Yeah, actually, I am," Selene replied, her frustration mounting. "She has it wrong, and I didn't... I didn't mean for you to see this."

Roxanne let out a bitter laugh, the sound hollow. "Of course you didn't. God forbid the truth ruins your little arrangement."

Selene stepped closer, her voice softening. "It's not like that between us, I promise. I don't have feelings for her." Her eyes pleaded with Roxanne to believe her. "I want you, Roxanne."

But the damage had been done. Roxanne shook her head, hurt flashing in her eyes as she backed away. "You should have been honest from the start. I'm not interested in being someone's second choice."

"Roxanne, don't go," Selene pleaded, desperation rising in her chest.

But Roxanne was already retreating toward the elevator, her back stiff with anger. "Take care, Madame President," she muttered over her shoulder, her voice cold and final.