One

A young hoglet of nine years old sat curled up in the corner of a cold damp cage, chains clasped to his wrists and ankles keeping him from escaping, his frail form consisted of cuts and bruises where his captors beat him trying to make him do as they wished.

He was as thin as a twig, his eyes were dull and heart broken along with his spirit, he had lost all hope years ago when his family gave him up for gold, but he didn't care they only thought him to be a freak and nothing more and that is what he accepted he was just a freak and that was why he was stuck in this cage trapped and helpless.

Suddenly someone banged on the cage signifying it was time to get out, ears flattening against his head he simply lowered his head to stare at his knees that he hugged close to his chest.

The door to the cage opened and someone marched forward. "Get up you worthless freak."

The hoglet remained silent and made no move making his captor even more furious.

Angrily his captor unlocked the chains and took him by the arm before dragging the hoglet out and shoving him to the ground where he unfortunately fell face first into a mud puddle.

Panicked he pushed himself up and jumped back in fear of the evil liquid that always seemed to have it out for him, he pulled his hands up and wiped the mud from his face before looking up to see the people of what they called a circus start to laugh at him, irritated he lunged up at them his eyes flaring in rage but his launch was stopped abruptly by a whip that wrapped quickly around his ankle and yanked him down making him fall back into the puddle.

Thunder could be heard as clouds started to fill the once bright blue sky, lightning then flashed causing fear to fill the people around but the hoglet was too busy trying to get up to care.

Suddenly pain erupted in his ribs making him cry out as the same boot hit him again causing him to slide to the side a bit as he curled up.

"Stop this nonsense, freak." The one hitting him hissed.

The hoglet quivered and knowing it was best to surrender he relaxed now lying limp on the ground where they pulled him to his feet and dragged him away, they brought him to the wash area where they hosed him down and got him ready before bringing him to the big tent where everyone was waiting to go out and do their thing.

"Remember, if you want a meal for the week you better not mess up or try anything stupid or all you will be getting is a whipping." the ringmaster warned. "Now get to work."

The hoglet nodded slightly in understanding and went to the group watching as the ringmaster passed them to go introduce himself and start the show, the hoglet pinned his ears and stared angrily at his outfit that was green and decorated as some sort of mystical elf, it was honestly quite embarrassing but he wasn't permitted to care or disagree, but he still really hated this leotard that he was forced to wear mainly for the sake of being more visible so he would stand out in the tent.

his fur was also speckled with sparkles so it would give the feeling of being more mystical though he despised it with a burning hatred all of it was for show so everyone would see what a freak he was and all he wanted was to get out of it he yearned to be free but the only place he got some sense of peace was when he was doing the show but even then he had the dread lingering over him that he might mess up and get a thrashing or no dinner any brutal punishment you could think of he had been through he was never safe never okay he was a slave a freak for people to see and laugh at this was his life and would be his life forever.

In the show the people watched as the clowns, horseback riders and any other ground performers did their thing and after a bit it was finally the acrobats who did their usual tricks with aerial ropes, the hoglet stood tensely watching from the platform, he was waiting for the signal it was coming while longer he was doing his best to relax for his next meal was on the line and he hadn't eaten for a month or so due to being stubborn and messing up a lot in training.