Chapter Eight: Found Again

Raven and Rileigh load up into the old blue Ford Mustang they once rode in together, affectionately named "Ole Blue." As Raven runs her hand along the hood, she grins. "Wow, she still looks and sounds amazing," she says, her voice soft with nostalgia. "So many memories."

Rileigh smiles, watching Raven's fingers trace the familiar lines of the car. "Yeah, she's been through a lot with us."

With that, the two hop in, the Mustang's engine roaring to life, echoing the past. As they pull onto the highway, the wind whips through the open windows, carrying with it the weight of their history—both the good and the bad. Raven glances at Rileigh, a small smile tugging at her lips as they speed down the road, the feeling of freedom settling in, just like old times.

 Raven glances at Rileigh, a small smile tugging at her lips as they speed down the road, the feeling of freedom settling in, just like old times

After cruising down the highway for a little over an hour, Rileigh takes the exit to the right. Raven looks over, curiosity flashing in her eyes.

"Remember our little getaway town... Palm Springs?" Rileigh asks, a grin spreading across her face.

Raven's smile grows as the familiar sights come into view—palm trees swaying in the breeze, the glistening coastline just ahead. "Palm Springs... I can't believe we're going back."

The memories flood in—the beaches, the huge mall, fishing docks, and those endless nights at the local bars. It was their escape, a place full of sun-soaked days and fun nights where the world felt far away.

"Thought it was about time we revisit," Rileigh says, her voice light, but there's a depth to it—a hope that maybe they could recapture what they once had.

Raven looks out the window, taking in the sparkling ocean, the lively streets filled with shops and restaurants. "Yeah," she murmurs, a smile tugging at her lips, "I missed this place."

As they drive closer, the smell of saltwater fills the air, the sound of waves crashing faintly in the distance. It feels like a return to something simpler—before everything got complicated.

As they settle into their seats, the waitress approaches, a warm smile lighting up her face. Rileigh instantly recognizes her. "Hi, Mia!"

"Oh my gosh, hi you lovebirds! It's so good to see y'all again," Mia beams, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "What are we having tonight?"

Rileigh leans in, her smile widening. "We'll start with the fried pickles and a Blue Island margarita tower, then the Seafood Boil Deluxe for two."

"Yes, ma'am! I'll get that in for you," Mia says, her voice filled with genuine warmth. "It's really nice seeing you guys again." With a wave, she walks off to put their order in.

Raven turns to Rileigh, amusement dancing in her eyes. "Geez, you remember it all, don't you?"

Rileigh chuckles softly. "How could I ever forget, baby? We came here all the time, ordered our usuals, then went dancing as the live band played. We'd walk along the beach when the sun started to set, and you'd look at me... God, the way you looked at me. I always waited for the moment you'd pull that ring out and ask me to marry you."