Chapter 10

As nightfall enveloped Maydale, an unsettling air crept over the village. Our brief moment of tranquility spent gazing at the sunset felt fleeting, and a daunting road lay ahead. We sat around the table in Mrs. Emily's cozy house, plotting our next steps. Our first challenge was clear: we needed to meet Jan. We hoped she could provide us with more leads and, perhaps, grant us entry into the mysterious clock tower.

After gathering our belongings, we exchanged warm goodbyes and heartfelt thanks with Miss Emily and stepped outside. 

. . .

The beauty of Maydale captivated me; it felt like a pocket of timelessness, with flower-laden roads and lush grassy meadows. A bustling little market thrived nearby, filled with vibrant vegetable stalls and a medley of charming wares. 

As we wandered, I noticed a stunning lucky charm crafted from river gems. My eyes sparkled with delight at its exquisite beauty.

"Take it," said the stall owner, a kind smile spreading across his face.

"Really?" I gasped in excitement.

He grinned, gently placing two charms into my palms. "One for you and one for him."

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, my heart racing with joy. 

I examined the two charms, their stones glimmering like tiny stars in the sunlight. I chose the more striking one for myself and handed the other to Ben.

"Fine work," he remarked, an impressed grin on his face.

We lingered at the market, engaging in lively conversation with the stall owner. My curiosity about the village's economy bubbled over.

"We make trips to the city every three months," he explained, his pride evident. "That's where we purchase raw materials we can't produce in Maydale."

I nodded, absorbing his words. "So, what do you make here?"

"Almost everything!" he declared proudly. "We grow our own crops, raise animals, and the river is our lifeblood." He gestured toward the shimmering water in the distance. "Unfortunately, we have to buy clothing from the city. The market people make the journey and then our local tailors stitch it all together."

After savoring a refreshing glass of cold milk and indulging in homemade biscuits from another stall, we began making our way toward the village center. 

The massive clock tower loomed into view, its presence both awe-inspiring and ominous.

I gazed up, a gasp escaping my lips. Up close, it was terrifying, towering high above us, making us feel small and insignificant. The intricate carved designs at its base were bold and dark, and the tower stood defiantly, casting a long shadow over the ground below.

We quietly retreated from its imposing presence and continued our journey. 

I looked back and spotted Miss Emily's house; it appeared tiny, shrinking to the size of the space between two fingers. 

As we ventured deeper into Maydale, the number of houses dwindled, replaced by more trees. The path became narrower and more winding, the once spacious trail reduced to a thin ribbon bordered by rustling grass on either side. 

The incline steepened, and at last, I caught sight of a house.

"There it is!" I pointed excitedly. We hurried toward it.

. . .

The house was enormous, a stark contrast to the cozy homes we had passed.

 We exchanged glances, each of us debating who should knock. After a moment of hesitation, Ben stepped forward and gave two sharp knocks on the door. The sound echoed through the vast space, sending a ripple of anticipation through us. Moments later, we heard the patter of footsteps, and the doorknob turned slowly. 

We held our breath, anxious and unsure of what to expect. All we knew was that Jan possessed the keys to the clock tower and she was scary.

As the door swung open, a shadow loomed over us. I glanced up, meeting the gaze of Jan.

She was tall and muscular, her short crop of choppy straight hair framing her striking features. I couldn't deny her good looks; her pale skin contrasted sharply with her black vest and baggy trousers. Her sharp, feline black eyes narrowed, filled with suspicion.

"What do you want?" she demanded, assessing us with a guarded expression.

"Just to talk," I replied, trying to sound calm. "We want to ask you a few questions, please."

"I'm busy." With that, she slammed the door shut. But in a quick reflex, Ben wedged his foot between the door and the frame.

"It won't take a minute," he shot back, offering her a challenging look.

She glared at him, then turned her gaze to me. "You better tell your boy to take his foot out of my door if he wants it intact."

"Too much of a coward to tell me yourself?" Ben raised an eyebrow defiantly.

"I can shut this door, and your foot will be on the other side," she hissed, her teeth clenched.

I twisted my hands nervously, feeling the tension between them. It was clear Jan wouldn't back down, and I could sense that she meant what she said.

"Jan," I stepped forward, my voice trembling slightly. "That's your name, right? I'm sorry for barging in like this, but strange things are happening, and I really need to talk to you." I placed a hesitant hand on her arm, my courage surprising even me. "Please, we came all the way here. We can't possibly go back now." I quickly withdrew my hand, sensing her discomfort, and her eyes softened for a brief moment.

"Fine." Her gaze remained fixed on me, then shifted to Ben. "Get out of line and I'll show you."

I could see Ben preparing to retort, but I quickly nudged him, hoping to avoid further confrontation.

Jan's house was beautiful, primarily white with intricately sculpted details that hinted at a rich history. We settled onto her plush sofa while she sat across from us, one leg casually resting on her knee.

"Fire away," she motioned, her demeanor now a mix of curiosity and challenge. I hesitated, unsure of how much to reveal. What if she decided to share our conversation with others?

Sensing my reluctance, she stood up she made her way till she was right in front of me. She bent low and faced me, leaning down to meet my gaze directly. "I want the truth. The whole truth. I won't be played with, alright?" Her voice dropped to a low, menacing whisper.

I swallowed hard and nodded, feeling the weight of her words. Unzipping my bag, I retrieved the diary and began to explain everything—the strange occurrences, the unsettling tales woven through the village's fabric.

Jan took the diary from me, her fingers brushing against mine. As she opened it and began to read, her eyes widened, and her face froze.

Jan knew something.