5- Play

The next day, Rachel woke up early, her nerves on edge as she prepared to visit the college for the first time. She had laid out her clothes neatly the night before, choosing a simple outfit that wouldn't draw too much attention. The last thing she wanted was to stand out on her first day. After a quick breakfast, she left the house, locking the door behind her with a deep breath.

As she walked down the familiar path, she saw the man from yesterday again. This time, she had a chance to properly observe him. He was tall and lanky, with short, messy brown hair that looked like it hadn't seen a comb in days. His eyes were a bright shade of green, playful and full of life, and his face had a youthful quality despite a few lines that hinted at his age. He was dressed in a simple t-shirt and shorts, playing basketball by himself in his driveway. He moved with an energy that seemed out of place for someone his age, dribbling the ball with focus, then throwing it at the hoop with a grin.

As soon as he noticed Rachel, he waved at her again, just as enthusiastically as yesterday. This time, Rachel tried to return the wave with the same energy, but it came out awkward and stiff. He didn't seem to notice, though, and continued with his game.

Rachel kept walking, her mind racing as she approached the subway station. It was her first time taking the subway in America, and the unfamiliarity of it all made her stomach churn. She felt out of place, like everyone around her knew exactly what they were doing, while she was lost and clueless. Back in Singapore, she had been a pro at navigating the train stations and buses, moving effortlessly through the city. But this was different. America was so much bigger than Singapore, and everything felt overwhelming.

As she waited for the train, she watched people casually jump over the turnstiles, skipping the fare. Rachel was shocked. In Singapore, that kind of thing was unheard of — completely illegal. Yet here, no one seemed to care. It made her feel even more out of place.

Eventually, she managed to navigate her way to the college, taking deep breaths to steady herself. As she approached the towering gates, the sight of the massive buildings made her feel queasy. She'd seen pictures of Harvard College before, but standing there in front of the campus made her stomach flip. It was real. This was her new reality. The ivy-covered walls and impressive stone structures loomed over her as students bustled about.

Rachel swallowed hard and walked through the entrance, trying to blend in. She immediately felt people's eyes on her, or at least she thought she did. Back in Singapore, she had been used to the attention. People knew her there — they knew her name, her reputation as one of the smartest students in her school. But here, no one knew her, and it felt like starting all over again.

She found the office, where she introduced herself as a new student in the exchange program. The staff member smiled politely, handing her a packet with her timetable, a map of the campus, and other important information. Rachel thanked them and stepped outside, holding the papers tightly as she tried to map out her day.

Walking around the campus, Rachel found her lecture halls and classrooms. She tried to focus on familiarizing herself with the place, but the feeling of being stared at wouldn't leave her. She wasn't used to being invisible. It felt strange to walk around unnoticed. After an hour or so, she decided she'd had enough. She just wanted to go home.

On her way back to the neighborhood, Rachel spotted the man again, but this time, he wasn't in front of his house. He was sitting at the playground, on one of the swings, gently swaying back and forth. When he saw her, he waved, a wide grin on his face.

"Hey!" he called out, gesturing for her to come over.

Rachel hesitated for a moment, remembering her parents' constant warnings about stranger danger. But something about him seemed... harmless. She made her way over to the swing next to him, sitting down gingerly.

"I'm Adrien," he said, offering his hand. "I keep seeing you around. You're new here, huh?"

Rachel shook his hand. "Yeah, I just moved here a week ago. I'm Rachel."

"Nice to meet you, Rachel. Where're you from?"

"Singapore."

Adrien's eyes lit up. "Singapore? Wow, that's like...really far. What brings you all the way over here?"

"I'm here for college," she explained. "I start next week."

Adrien nodded, and for a moment, they sat in silence, the creaking of the swings filling the air. He glanced over at her, noticing the tension in her face.

"You look like you've got a lot on your mind," he said gently. "What's up?"

Rachel hesitated. She didn't usually open up to strangers, but something about Adrien's easygoing demeanor made her feel comfortable. "I'm just... nervous," she admitted. "Starting school here, being new to everything. It's a lot."

Adrien leaned back on the swing, looking up at the darkening sky. "Well, you're doing something new right now though. Talking to me."

Rachel blinked. She hadn't thought about it that way. He was right. Here she was, sitting with someone she didn't know, talking about her fears. It was something she supposes.

"Tell you what," Adrien said, hopping off the swing. "How about a game of tag? It'll take your mind off things."

Rachel laughed nervously. "Tag? I haven't played that since I was a kid."

"Perfect. Let's change that."

Before she could protest, Adrien tapped her arm and ran off, grinning. "You're it!"

Rachel stood there for a moment, stunned. Then, something inside her shifted. She chased after him, laughing as she did. The game went on for longer than she expected, and for the first time in a long while, Rachel felt free. She wasn't thinking about college or her parents or the expectations weighing her down. She was just playing.

By the time they stopped, it was almost dark. They sat on the grass, catching their breath.

"That was fun," Adrien said, grinning. "I'm glad you joined."

Rachel smiled. "Yeah, me too."

Adrien pointed toward the house she had seen him in front of before. "That's my parents' place. I live with them."

Rachel nodded. It didn't seem strange to her. In Singapore, it was common for adult children to live with their parents.

"Well, I should head home," she said, standing up.

Adrien nodded, waving as she walked away. "Stay safe, Rachel."

When Rachel got home, she immediately went to her room, eager to wash off the day's tension. After a long, warm shower, she changed into her pajamas and crawled into bed, sinking into the familiar comfort of her blanket. The room was quiet, but her mind wasn't. She couldn't stop thinking about what had happened at the playground earlier with Adrien.

As she laid there, staring at the ceiling, a memory from her childhood crept into her thoughts. It had been a while since she thought about the old flat she and her parents lived in, back in Singapore. She remembered a specific afternoon when she was about seven years old, running around the small living room with her parents, playing tag. Her father had pretended to be too slow to catch her, laughing as her mother chased after both of them. The feeling of joy, of freedom, of being fully in the moment... it was the same feeling she'd had today, playing tag with Adrien.

For those few minutes at the playground, it was like she had been transported back in time, as if she was that little girl again, carefree and without any worries. The sensation left her feeling confused, unsettled even. She couldn't quite understand why playing with Adrien had triggered that memory so vividly or why it made her feel a strange sense of comfort and sadness at the same time.

Rachel shook the thought away. Maybe it was just the stress of everything—moving to a new country, starting college, and trying to adjust. She convinced herself it was nothing. Closing her eyes, she tried to push the memories aside and drift off to sleep. But even as she lay there, the feeling lingered, like a faint echo of a time long gone.