Chapter-9

"Why is my chaotic husband acting like a dead fish today?" Durrah teased, glancing at Affan through the mirror as she applied her pomegranate chapstick.

Affan sat on the bed, arms crossed, a deep pout on his face.

"It's not fair that I can't come with you to buy the wedding dress."

Durrah raised an eyebrow.

"Where's the fun in that? Don't you want to be blown away when you see me walking down the aisle?" She winked at him in the mirror.

"But I want us to do this together," Affan whined, sounding like a child who didn't get his way.

"We've been together for seven years, Affan. I want to keep some of the magic. Plus, a little tradition won't hurt." Durrah smirked.

"Durrah, you better not be planning anything too traditional." He narrowed his eyes.

"Oh, I am." She turned around, crossing her arms with a playful grin.

"I'm going to pick out my wedding dress with Elif. You know, since she's officially my best friend now. And..." She paused dramatically, watching as Affan's eyes widened, waiting for what she'd say next. "We're doing haldi and mehendi the old-fashioned way. Separate sections for the men and women."

"Okay, that's fine," Affan said, shrugging.

"And..." Durrah continued, stepping closer, "you can't see me from the day before the haldi until the wedding."

Affan shot up from the bed, eyes wide.

"WHAT? Durrah, no! Absolutely not!"

"It's just two days, Affan. You'll live." Durrah laughed, enjoying his reaction.

"Two days? Forty-eight hours? Two thousand, eight hundred eighty minutes? And who knows how many seconds?" He threw his hands in the air, clearly exaggerating. "How am I supposed to go that long without seeing or talking to you?"

Durrah couldn't help but laugh at his drama.

"You'll survive, Mr. Drama King. We're doing this the way we dreamed. It's going to be special."

"But..." Affan started to protest.

"No buts. We've got a week until the wedding. You can handle two days."

"Handle it?" Affan shook his head in disbelief. "I can barely handle an hour without you, let alone two whole days!"

"Then go focus on finishing those pending projects at work," Durrah teased. "Or Rayyan jeej will have to deal with you."

Affan huffed, still pouting. "This is cruel."

With a laugh, Durrah leaned down and tried to pull him up from the bed. But instead, he grabbed her waist and pulled her into his lap. She landed with a squeal, arms instinctively wrapping around his neck.

"Affan!" she scolded, but her smile betrayed her.

"You're lucky I love you, otherwise I'd never agree to this." He looked at her with a mischievous grin.

"It's going to be worth it. Trust me." Durrah rested her forehead against his, her laughter fading into a soft smile.

"For you? Always." Affan sighed dramatically, but the corners of his mouth lifted into a small smile.
__________________________________

The coffee shop buzzes with the low hum of conversations and the sound of the espresso machine. Elif steps inside, glancing at the menu board with a distracted expression. She approaches the counter, her mind elsewhere.