Chapter Four

The Herrous house was powerful, though it couldn't rival the Jonases in influence

The Herrous house was powerful, though it couldn't rival the Jonases in influence. Among their circle was Vivian Knowles, an elegant woman in her thirties with fair skin, always dressed impeccably. Vivian was Mark Jonas’s girlfriend, but her love for him was questionable.

She adored wealth and status more than affection. In Vivian's world, everything revolved around material possessions and connections. She had no place for emotions like love or compassion, and her heart was as cold as the diamonds she treasured.

One morning, as her maid served coffee, Vivian scoffed. “What is this?” she snapped, showing her disdain for the new maid. "Get out of here.

You’re ruining my beauty just by being here." Moments later, another maid arrived, offering a perfectly prepared cup. “Hmm, delicious,” Vivian remarked as she leisurely sipped. "Where have you been?" she asked her personal assistant, Rango, who was busy picking out the best handbag for her meeting with Mark. His delay irked her.

"That’s no excuse. Fire anyone who lacks class," she ordered without a second thought. “I’ll do it right away, my queen,” Rango assured her.

As they prepared to leave, one of the staff bent down to clean her heels, claiming it would rid her of bad luck. “Childish!” Vivian sneered.

“Bad luck? Don’t you know who I am? I’m Vivian Knowles, the only Vivian anyone talks about. Every man wants me, and my family is famous. Even Mark Jonas is mine!”

Despite her self-confidence, whispers filled the air. Many people knew that Mark didn’t truly love Vivian. But she didn’t care. She controlled her surroundings with fear and cruelty.

“Where’s the girl who served the coffee earlier?” she asked. “I’m going to torment her before I fire her.”

When she reached Mark’s mansion, Vivian demanded to know his whereabouts. "He’s upstairs, Miss Vivian," a maid informed her, trembling. "Good. Prepare my usual breakfast.

" Taking the elevator up, Vivian caught sight of the same maid kneeling before her.

“Get off your knees!” she ordered. “You’ll never disobey me again. Someone fetch me a hot knife!” The maid cried out, but Vivian was unmoved. “You should be thankful I’m still merciful,” she said coldly.

Later, Vivian met with Mark, who was engrossed in plans for a secret operation. “Where are the things I asked for?” he asked.

Vivian handed him the latest pistol with a smirk. “The operation will take place tonight. We’ll surprise Mr. Bean, and no one will dare challenge the Lion’s Club,” she said. “Send Liam to handle it,” Mark added, speaking of their expert assassin. "Of course, darling."

As their conversation shifted, Vivian tried to coax affection out of Mark. “Do you miss me?” she asked. His answer was curt: “No.” Frustrated by his coldness, she persisted. “Can’t you be romantic? Say, ‘I love you.’” But Mark wasn’t one for sentimentality. “I’m dominant. You know that by now,” he said. Vivian sighed, giving up on her attempts to soften him.

Meanwhile, downstairs, Olivia and Sophia, were preparing for their tutor’s arrival.

“Get up, Olivia, or we’ll be scolded,” Sophia urged.

We quickly dressed and joined the household for breakfast. Couldn't help but  teased Sophia about her appetite, making us both laugh. But it was a  lighthearted moment was interrupted when i noticed bruises on one of the maids. “What happened to your neck?” I asked gently.

The maid hesitated before revealing that Vivian our boss finances had punished her. “She did this?” I  gasped, horrified.

Later that evening, i intentionally spilled hot tea on her foot. Though apologetic, Vivian’s fury was immediate. “You blind fool!” she screamed, raising her hand to strike me. But i stopped her, saying, “I’m Mark Jonas’s niece.

You won’t lay a hand on me.” Vivian froze. She had never been told about Mark’s niece. Feeling humiliated, she stormed off, her pride wounded.

That night, as Mark and Vivian parted ways for the operation, she couldn't shake her irritation over Olivia’s defiance. “She may be his niece,” Vivian thought bitterly, “but she’s careless and rude. No matter. Tonight’s operation is what’s important.”

Her mind refocused on the task at hand, Vivian looked forward to the events that would unfold, knowing she would stop at nothing to maintain her position in Mark’s world, no matter who she had to destroy along the way.

“How can someone be so cruel just because they’re rich and famous? My parents didn’t raise me that way. People like Vivian deserve a lesson.”

“Can I come in?  Please come in oh it you ,How’s your wound?”

“I’m better. Thanks for standing up for me.”

“No problem. Good night.”

“Good night.”