His Malika {08}

26th April 2022

Yola is hot.

The heat here is unbearable, really. We arrived Yola two days ago and so far, everything's going well, is I say so myself. We're staying in our house in jimeta and we went to the family house in yola once and that was the day we arrived, we stayed for about an hour before leaving and it was surprisingly pleasant. Maybe it's because we didn't meet the whole family but let's not jinx it.

Ifdal, kawthar and Naana-my mom- and I are in the living room upstairs and we're doing our Qur'an reading, and it's so peaceful. We're reading individually seeing as we're nor on the same page. Ifdals Muslim pro app notified us that it was time for Asr when the adhaan came on, which signaled the end of our one hour reading sesh, because we started at around 2:00pm and it's almost 3:30 so one hour thirty minutes? Not sure. A few minutes later we heard the imam calling the adhaan from the mosque that's not so far from my house, we all closed our Qur'ans and went to pray.

At exactly four pm me, Nadiya and my cousins were in the kitchen supervising the preparations for iftar while Naana and mama were in the other kitchen outside supervising the maids that are making iftar that will be taken to the mosque outside later on.

The maids here are making a not too much and not too little because we aren't hosting anyone yet. I don't see reason why we are even in this kitchen-Nadiya went to the living room not too long ago kawthar went to sleep claiming she's feeling lightheaded- so its just me and ifdal doing the said 'supervision' and the cooks- Abigail, rose and john- are here so I trust everything will go smoothly. I wonder what they'll make today, they cook so well. Ifdal seems-

"so, wat are you guys making for iftar today?" Ifdal literally voices out my thoughts

"madam said to make the usual plus cow leg pepper soup, kebab pilaf with spiced carrots, dolmas, and maqluba" the usual being chips, egg yam, chicken soup, kosai-akara-, kunu-pap, danwake, vegetable soup with white rice and fruit salad.

"no drinks?" probably in the fridge or something.

"we made hibiscus, tigernut and ginger drinks in the morning. We kept them in the fridge "this time rose answers.

"Oooohh, need any help then?" probably don't because three maids were sent from the main house two days ago and they help the cooks do the cooking for us and two more were sent afterwards for the mosque

"No, not really we got it covered" Abigail answers with a laugh.

"if you need any help, we'll be in the living room" I say to which they reply with smiles then I dragged Ifdal to the living room.

From then we just sat in the living room and Omar Qassim Quran recitation was playing on high volume, with Nadiya-seated on the beanbag at a corner- was furiously tapping her phone screen and Ayaan-seated on the single seater couch-was scrolling on his phone looking rather uninterested, Ifdal and I made ourselves rather comfortable on the three seater couch, Ayaan said something which I didn't bother trying to grasp to which she replies and they started conversing leaving me to my thoughts.

I felt I was third wheeling at one point so I moved close to Nadiya and sat on the carpet facing her she lowered her phone, looked at me and smiled then went back to whatever it is she was doing, many would find that offensive but I didn't mind, then I proceeded to ask her the question that was bugging me

"I don't remember seeing this beanbag in this corner" I whispered to her and she dropped her phone on her thighs she then lowered her head and whispered back