i. the start of it all

Camp Halfblood was one of a kind

Camp Halfblood was one of a kind. Not everyone can say they attend a summer camp training kids to fight monsters. Yet here Angelina was, at the camp, with her suitcase in hand.

Not every camper was fortunate enough to have the opportunity she had, which was to leave camp during the school year to go home. And even fewer were lucky enough to want to go home, to want to see their parent. That wasn't something that the girl took for granted. She knew how privileged and fortunate she was to have the home life she had.

The thing with Camp Halfblood was that its name is quite descriptive of the children it housed. It wasn't exactly something advertised in the newspaper or on television channels. It wasn't by referrals or by knowing someone. It was, quite simply, exactly what the name said. A camp for halfbloods. In other terms, demigods.

The world of the gods was hidden from the feral population. Only a select "privileged" few have had the chance to learn about the world, and not everyone can say it has been a privilege. To some, this world only brought pain. It brought hurt. It brought bad memories.

Angelina can't say that she fully agrees with that though. She's been attending the summer camp for the past three years, this June marking her fourth at the age of twelve. And her opinion? She loves it. What else can a preteen ask for?

The only issue she has come to realize within those past three years was the issue of who your godly parent was. When you're younger, the idea of your missing parent being a deity makes you giddy. Many of the younger campers would be jumping with joy within their first week, excited to be claimed. To find out who their parent was, and to find out where they belonged.

When it comes to your parentage, there was a lot that can be inferred about each demigod. To know their parent was to know what kind of person you were dealing with. Or at least that's all that Angelina has figured out at this point. She knew that when she needed new bottles of shampoo and conditioner, she could get the Hermes kids to sneak out past the borders to meet up with her father - who would be waiting outside with her favorite brand. She wasn't one to use the ones provided by the camp, it made her hair feel stringy.

If she harms herself climbing the lava rock wall, she knows that the Apollo kids are the top healers in the camp. Not that anyone else can't help patch you up, but it was basically imprinted in their DNA.

When she decided to pick up the hobby last summer of growing plants, a jade plant being her first victim, it was a Demeter kid running to save the day. It cared for the plant, tending to it while teaching the then-eleven year old what exactly she had to do to keep it alive. Angelina merely grinned and hugged the other girl, thanking her for reviving her previous Chloe.

Safe to say, the brunette gladly matches campers up with their cabins. She saw nothing wrong with these stereotypes when it benefits her. It wasn't quite like they argued against it either, they were all glad to help in their own ways. Your parentage can say a lot about you.