CHAPTER 4

Upon their arrival in West Sumatra, Hashim and Fariza opted to stay in budget hotels. "The expenses here are still reasonable," Hashim remarked. "What do you say we grab a bite to eat first?" suggested Fariza, knowing full well that the turbulence during the flight had left her stomach feeling queasy, making her all the more hungry.

"This place is known for its Nasi Padang, right?" Fariza asked.

"We could find a nearby restaurant and while we eat, we can plan out the rest of our stay here... What do you think, Hashim, sound good?" Fariza proposed. Hashim simply nodded in agreement.

"I'm hungry too, and I've heard from friends who've been here that the Nasi Padang is delicious. So, how about you hail a cab, and we'll ask the driver to recommend the best spot?"

Without wasting any time, Fariza stepped to the side of the road. Hashim pulled out a box of cigarettes from his pocket, and with a swift motion, placed one between his lips and lit it. He inhaled deeply, as if he hadn't had a smoke in ages.

Noticing Hashim's behavior, Fariza teased, "Hey, didn't you quit smoking?" Hashim, lost in his own world, snapped back to reality and just grinned sheepishly.

Despite several cabs passing by, none seemed to stop. Suddenly, Hashim remembered the local customs.

"Hey, if you want to hail a taxi here, use your right hand," Hashim shouted to Fariza. Confused for a moment, Fariza complied with Hashim's instructions. This time, a taxi pulled up to the curb. After a brief conversation with the driver, Fariza waved at Hashim to hurry over. Hashim knew only one thing: to get to the restaurant, satisfy his hunger, and then head back to the hotel before starting their planned itinerary.

The first day in West Sumatra had been carefully planned by Hashim, who arranged a meeting with a local contact who would take them to the Grand Palace of Pagaruyung.

"Assalamualaikum," greeted Pak Reno as he approached them. Pak Reno had long worked independently as a tour guide. Before this, he was employed by a government-owned tourism management agency in Indonesia.

"Today, I will take you, Pak Hashim, and your companion to the Grand Palace of Pagaruyung. The journey should take less than an hour." Upon arriving at the grounds of the ancient palace, Pak Reno began to speak...

"Let me explain, Pak Hashim," began Pak Reno. "This old palace was built during the golden age of the Pagaruyung Kingdom, a Minangkabau Islamic Kingdom. However, the Pagaruyung Kingdom came to an end in 1833."

Without wasting any time, Fariza took out her camera and began capturing images of the intricate carvings around them. Pak Reno continued, explaining that in the past, this ancient palace housed hundreds of old artifacts, some of which still puzzle experts regarding their function and purpose. He added that the carvings, which had been modified in 2007 following a devastating fire, now made it even more difficult to analyze the motifs. Unfortunately, only a portion of the ancient artifacts were salvaged from the fire caused by a lightning strike in 2007.

Hashim, feeling a bit skeptical, asked, "How could lightning strike an old wooden palace?"

Pak Reno simply smiled and replied, "Lightning can strike trees, which are also made of wood... You must understand, Pak, it's not the wood that was struck, but something within or associated with those trees."

Hashim nodded, finding wisdom in Pak Reno's words. Fariza, who had been busy taking pictures, finally spoke up, "What is the significance of the paintings and motifs on the palace walls, Pak?"

Pak Reno paused, as if the question carried a weight he wasn't sure how to bear. Seeing his hesitation, Fariza gently asked, "Pak Reno, are you alright?" Pak Reno then suggested they sit in a quiet corner of the ancient palace, where he began his tale.

"The history of the Minangkabau sultanate is a long one, Pak," he started. "Some say its lineage traces back to Alexander the Great. The origins of the sultanate in West Sumatra date back thousands of years. Many old manuscripts tell different stories, but the poetic language they use conceals many secrets. That was the artfulness and subtlety of their language." He continued, "Although there are many relics here, I believe that less than 40% of the secrets of this sultanate have been truly understood. The royal lineage has spread far and wide."

Before he could continue, Fariza interjected, "Pak Reno, have you ever encountered anything mystical or strange in all your time here?"

Pak Reno fell silent for a moment, then resumed, "The vast Nusantara archipelago extends beyond dimensions... What exists in one realm also exists in another... The royal lineage transcends the boundaries of the known world. What happens here also happens 'there,' and what happens 'there' raises more questions than answers."

Hashim and Fariza were stunned. "We apologize, Pak Reno, but we don't quite understand what you're trying to say," Hashim said.

Pak Reno continued, "I have spent many years trying to decipher what is inscribed on these walls. I feel as though something is trying to be communicated to me..."

"What do you mean, Pak Reno?" Fariza interjected, her curiosity piqued. "I mean... there are heirs who have been called for something," Pak Reno replied, his voice laced with an air of mystery.

Hashim and Fariza grew even more puzzled. Sensing their confusion, Pak Reno invited them to the upper level of the old palace. "Pak Hashim, Buk Fariza, can you both promise to keep a secret if I show you something?" he asked.

"It depends on what you want to show us," Hashim replied cautiously. "But before that, Pak, I'm curious—why us? And have you ever shown this to anyone else?"

"No, Pak... never," Pak Reno responded. "Because I haven't found the right people until now."

"Come, Pak, follow me," urged Pak Reno, leaving Hashim still wrestling with unanswered questions.

"Over here, Pak... look at this wall," Pak Reno gestured toward a series of paintings, each intricately segmented. The first depicted two crowned serpents standing guard over what appeared to be a civilization.

The subsequent images displayed various elements and symbols, their meanings obscured, followed by mysterious inscriptions resembling ancient script. According to Pak Reno, historians who examined the site merely considered the designs to be abstract patterns.

In another corner, there was an illustration of a serpent wearing a crown, holding a sword. The severe damage to the artwork made it difficult to discern what object the serpent grasped in its other hand. Another image displayed an inscription in old Minangkabau script that read "Sari Mananti."

"Who is Sari Mananti?" Fariza asked, her voice tinged with curiosity. Pak Reno did not answer but instead directed their attention elsewhere. "Now, look at this... this is the depiction of *Kuciang Tido*... in Malaysia, it's known as the sleeping cat, another mysterious symbol from this kingdom," Pak Reno explained. "Let's head to the cafeteria first," he suggested. "I'll explain everything while we eat and drink."

Hashim, still bewildered, was brimming with questions. Who were these heirs Pak Reno spoke of? Who or what was Sari Mananti? And what was the significance behind the cryptic images in the old palace?

As they reached a nearby cafeteria, a group of other tourists greeted Pak Reno. He brightened up instantly, as if he had been expecting them all along.
"Here's the thing, Pak Hisyam and Buk Fariza," Pak Reno began, "I apologize, but I have other matters that need my attention. Besides, it's getting late, and the visiting hours are almost over. Let's continue the tour tomorrow."

Hashim and Fariza nodded in agreement, understanding the situation. The vehicle that would take them back to their hotel was already waiting, ready to bring them back.