CHAPTER 3

Even amidst the bustle of the course, Hashim barely realized that four days had already passed since his arrival in Jakarta. As a teacher, his career demanded unwavering dedication, requiring educators like him to be more exposed to superior regional and international education systems.

This ASEAN-level gathering provided Hashim with the opportunity to hear firsthand from fellow educators across the ASEAN countries about the various educational methods employed in their respective nations. Throughout the course, Hashim met many new acquaintances. Representing Malaysia, Hashim also set up an educational booth at the Jakarta Convention Centre. The Malaysian booth showcased books on national education policies, school programs, and more. Staff members from the Malaysian education attaché office in Indonesia were also on hand to assist and provide relevant information to visitors. Fariza took this opportunity to gain experience working at the booth for an international event.

Today marked the last day for Hashim and Fariza in Jakarta. Tomorrow, they would be heading to West Sumatra.

"Assalammualaikum, sir," greeted an elderly man.
"Waalaikumsalam, sir," Hashim and Fariza replied in unison. "Please feel free to browse the books we have on education in Malaysia," Hashim invited warmly.

"Sometimes, just reading books doesn't allow one to truly understand..." the old man responded. "The younger generation needs to be exposed to real experiences; only real experiences can make people truly appreciate the struggles of those who came before them," he continued.

"Struggles aren't limited to education alone. The fight to bring peace to the world is also part of the efforts to uphold education. Yes, the younger generation now has everything—schools, universities, colleges—but the question is, do they understand the hardships that made all of this possible?"

The old man's words struck a chord with Hashim.

"Have you ever been to Malaysia, sir?" Fariza suddenly asked.

"I've been to Malaysia before. I was involved in the confrontation between Malaysia and Indonesia. I'm a former soldier... but that's a story from long ago. What impresses me now is the development in your country." Hashim and Fariza eagerly awaited his next words.

"In the past, Malaysia and Indonesia weren't very different... just the same, like 'chicken coops,'" he said with a hint of humor. "Everything was lagging behind... but years later, I had the opportunity to return to Malaysia. MasyaAllah... it felt like a completely different country. I visited Putrajaya... and it felt as though I was in a developed nation," the old man continued.

"The difference in development between Malaysia and Indonesia is vast," he said. "That's the blessing of unity... Here, our leadership changes often, and with that, so do the long-term plans. When the government changes, so do the plans... and in the end, it's the people who suffer."

"It's the process of achieving unity that is complicated, my friend," the old man added. "This process must be documented and passed down to the younger generation, so they appreciate it more and don't hastily chase after modernization, forgetting the spirit of the struggles of our ancestors. And this is just within the country... The younger generation also doesn't see the bigger picture on the global stage, especially when it comes to our neighboring countries."

Fariza looked utterly bewildered... it was quite amusing to see her face like that.

"What do you mean, sir?" Fariza asked again.

"There are also conflicts between Indonesia and Malaysia," the old man began.

"There's always some news that paints Malaysia in a bad light, and it's so easily believed by many... but not by me. Such news doesn't come from us; it's propagated by foreign media that dislike the harmony and unity between these two Islamic nations," the old man continued. "I'm sure the same thing happens in Malaysia—negative news about Indonesia reaches the people and becomes a topic of scorn, even though they haven't verified the truth of the matter."

"This is how perceptions are shaped," Hashim interjected.

"What do you mean?" Fariza asked.

"Perception is closely tied to decision-making. Good decisions are the result of one's ability to compare different perspectives. If someone has only one rigid perception, then that's the kind of decision they will make. For example, someone who has run a business and experienced its ups and downs is better equipped to make decisions related to business. Someone with experience in agriculture is more suited to discuss agricultural matters than a bank executive. Perception is shaped by various factors, including life experiences, education levels, family background, social interactions, and sometimes, it's a natural gift. Just look at this man—his experience as a soldier during the confrontation, his journeys across the sea from Indonesia to Malaysia and back, and his age all enable him to make well-informed choices on various matters." Hashim explained at length.

"Oh, now I get it," Fariza replied. "If we always rely on being spoon-fed, then our decisions will always favor those who feed us. But if we're independent, we'll see the many facets of life..."

"Something like that," Hashim replied briefly.