CHAPTER 8

Hashim grew increasingly perplexed. "Aren't you supposed to show the old dagger? Why the stones inside the boxes?"

"Come on, help me move the other box," Pak Reno directed.

It was clear that Pak Reno had lost much of his strength, yet the box was undeniably heavy.

Once all the stone-filled boxes were pushed aside, Sari Jamilah sat down cross-legged on the old woven mat. She seemed to be muttering something as she tapped the mat several times.

She then stood and moved the mat aside, revealing a hidden door akin to those seen in foreign films. Pak Reno helped his wife unlock the door and lift it open.

Hashim and Fariza were astonished to discover an underground passage from the room of Pak Reno's house.

"Come on, follow me," Pak Reno said as he carefully descended into the lower space.

Hashim and Fariza followed cautiously.

What they saw shocked them both. The underground room was well-lit and equipped with a good lighting system. The electrical wiring had been neatly installed into the basement area.

"This house has been passed down through generations from our ancestors. It's customary to use such rooms for storing weapons or family heirlooms," Pak Reno explained.

Pak Reno then directed Hashim and Fariza to a corner. Fariza was mesmerized by the sight of hundreds of weapons and various old items, including treasure chests, smoking pipes, and antique lanterns. The weapons displayed on the room's walls were unique and appeared very ancient.

"Be careful not to touch any of the weapons," Sari Jamilah advised. "These weapons are sharp, and some still hold their power. Even a small cut could cause significant harm."

In a special corner of the room, Pak Reno drew Hashim's and Fariza's attention to a glass case containing two weapons. One of them bore a striking resemblance to the weapon depicted in the drawings on the walls of the old palace.

"Can I borrow your camera for a moment?" Hashim asked Fariza.

Hashim then compared the image of the palace drawing, which Fariza had captured, with the weapon in the glass case.

"They look very similar," Hashim said as he zoomed in on the camera's display, trying to enlarge the image of the palace drawing.

Pak Reno began to speak, "This is the weapon I was referring to. This is called a 'karaih' in Malay, similar to the Keris Lok 19 depicted in the palace drawing."

"And the other one, Pak?" Hashim asked.

"The other one was found along with the Keris Lok 19. It resembles the Keris Lok 13 in length but has fewer 'loks' or grooves. There are also engravings with ancient Middle Eastern designs—possibly from Turkey, Egypt, and maybe even ancient Roman art. However, I believe this is merely a side weapon. Look at its condition—it's rusted, the hilt is crumbling, and the scabbard is cracked," Pak Reno explained.

"As I found these two weapons, the Keris Lok 19 was inside a chest," Pak Reno explained.

Sari Jamilah, who had been silently observing, moved to an old wooden cabinet and opened it. She retrieved an ornate wooden box with ancient carvings and placed it on the table in front of the three of them.

Carefully, Sari Jamilah opened the box.
Inside the lid of the box, in golden Jawi script, was an inscription. Sari Jamilah read the inscription aloud in her Minangkabau dialect.

"Listen closely, everyone:

                      "Maso dan alam dipisah juo"
               (When time and realm are separated)

                 "Supayo yang galap disimpan rapi"
                  (So that the dark may be kept safe)

                     "Tak kano urang tak kano caro"
               (Not for everyone, not for the ignorant)

                    "Hanyo yang layak kami mananti"
                         (Only those worthy we await)

                     "Marandah diri Membuko Laluan"
                   (Humble yourself to reveal the path)

                             "Air mato malarai jampi"
                             (Tears dissolve the spell)

               "Rastu Tarbilang Membanar Pagarakan"
              (The mighty bless shall break the barrier)

                      "Daulah kan disusul dangan diuji"
                (The realm will be tested and succeeded)

"Siapo tuan apo dihati, membuek puako jadi pilihan"  (Whoever is true of heart shall choose their phantom    path)

"What does this inscription mean, Sari Jamilah?" Fariza asked.

Sari Jamilah remained silent, her gaze directed at Pak Reno, waiting for him to explain further.

"I believe that this keris is a key to time and space," Pak Reno clarified. Hashim and Fariza exchanged bewildered glances. "What do you mean, Pak Reno?" Fariza asked again.

"From my research over the years and consultations with trusted elders, the realm and dimension of the spiritual kingdom can only be accessed by the chosen ones. But to this day, we still cannot interpret precisely what is being conveyed," Pak Reno explained. "Several people have attempted to decipher it but failed," he continued. "Perhaps Pak Hashim or Ibu Fariza might want to give it a try?" Pak Reno seemed to offer a vague hope.

"I don't see how or what we should attempt... I'm sorry, Pak, I might not fully understand," Fariza admitted.

Sari Jamilah, who had been silent until then, suddenly asked Hashim a question. "Pak Hashim, what are your thoughts? You seem deep in thought."

"The traditions of the past are filled with intricacies, Pak," Hashim replied. "I once read that the Western colonizers, especially those from the West, also used Kabbalistic magic."

"Kabbalistic magic? What do you mean?" Fariza asked, puzzled.

"Kabbalistic magic... it's magic derived from the Book of Harut and Marut. It involves various segments and purposes. When the Westerners came to the Malay land, they applied powerful spells to prevent the unification of the Malays and delay their awakening," Hashim explained.

"Only with magic?" Fariza still seemed incredulous.

"Yes, it's true," Sari Jamilah interjected. "Kabbalistic magic is powerful. That's why it was once hidden or attempted to be destroyed. However, it was discovered by the Freemasons who used it for conquest. But the more intriguing question is... why use Kabbalah here? When firearms would suffice to conquer other countries," Sari Jamilah inquired.

"Because the Malay land is sacred. It is a land with its own sovereignty, its own rulers. It is a land with purpose and preparation for its future. Surrounded by oceans, it absorbs and emits the ocean's aura and energy. It is a land full of loving energy. Thus, no amount of bullets or swords could breach its defenses. Only negligence, forgetfulness, and complacency would cause its defenses to weaken," Hashim explained.

"Wait a minute," Fariza interrupted. "Is this incantation what you refer to as magic?"

"No... that's not what I meant," Hashim responded.

"I'm confused now... so what is the connection between this incantation and Kabbalistic magic?" Fariza asked, her impatience evident.

"In my view... this isn't an incantation or mantra, let alone magic... it's a key from ancient times," Hashim answered.

"A key? What kind of key?" Fariza asked, her tone rising with frustration.

"Let me explain, it's quite complicated. This key isn't like a typical house key. It can be a binding or 'attached' to something—perhaps a prayer, surrender, or miraculous power. And if what Pak Reno and Ibu Sari Jamilah sense is correct, this key is meant to safeguard a secret so well that no matter what method or magic is used, it cannot be unlocked," Hashim tried to explain as simply as possible.