Part 26

Alice woke up with a start, her heart racing as the echoes of the voice in her dream faded away. "Find me," it had whispered, soft and distant, yet unmistakably clear. She sat up in bed, rubbing her temples, trying to shake off the strange sensation lingering from the dream. The voice had felt so real, like someone was right there, calling to her from the darkness. But it was just a dream, she reminded herself. A weird dream, nothing more.

She glanced at the clock. The sun was already peeking through the curtains, casting soft golden light across the room. Pushing aside the unsettling feeling, Alice threw off the covers and slipped out of bed. She had a big day ahead—her first real day of freedom, of living her new life—and she wasn't going to let a strange dream ruin it.

After a quick shower, Alice padded barefoot into the kitchen, tying her dark hair into a loose ponytail as she moved. It was time for her favorite morning routine: pancakes. Cooking always had a way of grounding her, of helping her focus. The smell of batter sizzling in the pan filled the kitchen, and soon she was sitting at the table, enjoying her breakfast with a smile. She took a bite, savoring the warm, buttery sweetness. This was her new life, she reminded herself. A fresh start, away from her overprotective family. She was finally doing things on her own terms.

Once she finished eating, she rinsed her plate, humming softly to herself as she cleaned up. Today was a big day—not just because she was settling into her new house, but because she was also about to visit the bakery she'd bought. Her very own bakery, a dream she'd been nurturing for years. It was finally happening, and the excitement bubbled inside her like champagne.

Alice grabbed her purse and car keys, and after one last glance around the cozy kitchen, she stepped outside, breathing in the fresh morning air. The excitement of starting her own business filled her chest as she got into her car and headed toward the building she had purchased. It had been a fixer-upper, something she was looking forward to renovating and shaping into her vision. But as she pulled up to the street where the bakery stood, she slowed down, confusion washing over her.

The building looked... finished. Completely finished.

She frowned, staring at it from the driver's seat. "I thought this place still needed work," she muttered to herself. But now, the windows were gleaming, the paint was fresh, and even the furniture inside looked pristine. This wasn't the half-done renovation she'd been expecting. It looked like a fully furnished, ready-to-open bakery.

Alice parked the car and grabbed her phone, quickly dialing her father's number. He answered after just one ring, his familiar, warm voice greeting her.

"Hello, sweetheart."

"Dad," Alice began, trying to keep the confusion out of her voice, "did you... do something to my bakery?"

There was a pause on the other end of the line, followed by a sheepish chuckle. "Well, yes, honey. I thought I'd help out a bit, you know. I didn't want you stressing about all the renovations, so I may have... finished things up for you."

Alice sighed but couldn't help smiling. That was her dad—always wanting to take care of everything. "You didn't have to do that, Dad," she said, though her voice was soft with gratitude. "But thank you. It looks amazing."

"Anything for you, Alice. I'm proud of you. Just make sure to call if you need anything else."

She laughed, a warm feeling spreading through her chest. "Thanks, Dad. I will."

After hanging up, Alice stood for a moment, staring at the bakery, her heart swelling with pride. This was her dream, her new beginning, and even though her dad had stepped in and finished the building, it was still hers. She walked to the front door and pushed it open, stepping inside and taking it all in. The soft light filtering through the windows, the cozy booths along the walls, the polished counter where she would serve her customers. It was perfect.

She glanced around the empty space, imagining it filled with the sweet scent of freshly baked pastries and the sounds of customers chatting and laughing. This was her fresh start. She quickly put up a "Help Wanted" sign on the window, smiling at the thought of building her team and seeing the bakery come to life.

After locking the door behind her, Alice decided to take a drive around town. She wanted to explore, to get to know the place she now called home. As she drove through the quiet streets, her mind wandered back to the dream she had that morning, but she quickly shook it off. It was just a dream, nothing more.

A while later, something caught her eye—a school. It was an old, modest building, tucked away at the edge of town, with a playground that seemed eerily familiar. She pulled over, staring at it for a moment. She couldn't shake the strange feeling that washed over her as she looked at the school, a sense of déjà vu that tugged at the corners of her memory.

"I've never been here," Alice whispered to herself, frowning. She had grown up in the city, attended schools far from this town. And yet, standing here, looking at the building, she couldn't shake the feeling that she had been here before, that she knew this place in some way.

Shrugging off the odd sensation, Alice got back into her car. She didn't have time to dwell on strange feelings or dreams. She had too much to do, too much to look forward to.

As she drove back toward her house, the sun casting a golden glow over the treetops, Alice felt a sense of contentment settle over her. This was her new life, her new adventure, and she couldn't wait to see where it would take her.

But as she pulled into her driveway and stepped out of the car, a fleeting thought crossed her mind—had she really left the past behind, or was something from it following her here, waiting to be uncovered?

For now, Alice pushed the thought aside. Tomorrow was a new day, and she had a bakery to run. But in the back of her mind, the voice from her dream lingered, a soft whisper that refused to be forgotten.