𝒫𝒶𝓃𝒾𝒸𝓀𝑒𝒹 𝑅𝑒𝒶𝒹𝑒𝓇

The walls seemed to close in, your breath coming in shallow gasps as your heart raced uncontrollably. A suffocating pressure sat heavy on your chest, and the world around you began to blur. The familiar surroundings of the house you shared with Eric felt distant, like you were trapped in a glass box, watching your life play out from the outside.

You weren't sure what had triggered it this time. Maybe it was the mounting stress from work, or the nagging voice in your head that wouldn't let up. All you knew was that you couldn't breathe, your vision was tunneling, and your hands were trembling uncontrollably.

Sitting on the living room floor, you pressed your knees against your chest, trying to ground yourself. Your mind was spiraling, your thoughts tangled in an overwhelming knot that you couldn't unravel. Each breath felt like a battle, each second a struggle to stay present.

"Hey, babe, I'm home!" Eric's voice called from the hallway, a cheerful contrast to the storm brewing inside you. His boots thudded softly against the wooden floor as he made his way toward you, unaware of the chaos you were drowning in.

You didn't answer, too consumed by the panic. The air felt thick, like it was pressing down on you, and you squeezed your eyes shut, hoping—praying—it would pass.

Eric appeared in the doorway, his usual smile falling the second he saw you. His eyes, wide with concern, darted between your tense posture and your pale, tear-streaked face. "Oh no... sweetheart." His voice softened, and he was by your side in an instant, kneeling on the floor in front of you.

"I—I can't... I can't breathe," you stammered between shallow gasps. Your chest tightened further, and the world seemed to spin faster.

Eric's hands were gentle as they cupped your face, his thumbs brushing the tears from your cheeks. "Hey, I'm here. You're okay, I've got you." His voice was calm, steady, like an anchor you so desperately needed.

He moved to sit beside you, his arms wrapping around you in a protective cocoon. "Breathe with me, okay?" He placed your hand over his chest, guiding you to match his slow, deep breaths. "In... and out. Nice and slow."

You tried to focus on the rise and fall of his chest, the steady rhythm of his breathing. It was hard—your mind was racing, and your body refused to calm down—but Eric didn't push. He just held you close, his hand rubbing soothing circles on your back as he murmured reassurances.

"You're safe. You're here with me, and nothing's going to hurt you," he whispered, his voice a constant reminder that you weren't alone.

Minutes passed, though it felt like hours, and gradually, your breaths began to even out. The tightness in your chest loosened, and the fog in your mind started to clear. Eric's presence, so warm and grounding, had pulled you back from the edge.

You leaned into him, burying your face in his chest, his steady heartbeat a comforting sound against your ear. "I'm sorry," you whispered, your voice small and shaky.

"Shh, you have nothing to be sorry for," Eric said softly, pressing a kiss to the top of your head. "I'm just glad I'm here with you. You don't have to go through this alone."

You nodded, feeling his arms tighten around you in a silent promise of safety. The panic had left you feeling drained, but being in Eric's embrace made the world feel a little less daunting. He always had a way of making you feel safe, no matter how bad things got.

"I'm so proud of you," he murmured after a while, his hand still gently stroking your back. "For getting through that. For letting me help you. You're so strong, even when you don't feel like it."

His words brought fresh tears to your eyes, but this time, they weren't from fear or panic. You lifted your head to look at him, his face so full of love and understanding that it made your chest ache in a different way. "I don't know what I'd do without you," you whispered.

Eric smiled, soft and sincere, brushing a strand of hair away from your face. "You'll never have to find out, okay? I'm always going to be here for you."

You rested your forehead against his, the warmth of his skin a reminder that you were safe, that this moment would pass, and that you weren't alone. With Eric by your side, the panic didn't seem so insurmountable.

"I love you," you said softly, the words carrying all the gratitude and emotion you couldn't fully express.

"I love you too," Eric replied, his voice full of quiet conviction. He kissed your forehead, lingering for a moment before pulling you back into his arms.

For the first time in what felt like forever, you allowed yourself to exhale fully, the weight on your chest finally lifting as you melted into the comfort of his embrace. In that moment, you knew that no matter how hard things got, you would always have a safe place in his arms.