𝒜𝒷𝓊𝓈𝑒𝒹 𝑅𝑒𝒶𝒹𝑒𝓇

The decision to visit your dad had been a difficult one, but after weeks of internal debate, you finally agreed to go. He'd been calling more frequently lately, leaving slurred voicemails that oscillated between guilt-tripping and apologizing for past behavior. You knew the drinking had only gotten worse, but something in you still hoped that maybe, just maybe, this time would be different.

It wasn't like you hadn't tried before. Over the years, you had distanced yourself from him, protecting your own well-being after too many drunken rants and broken promises. But every now and then, he would reach out, and some part of you—maybe out of obligation, maybe out of the hope that he could change—would cave.

Eric had been supportive from the beginning, never pushing you to cut ties, but never encouraging you to subject yourself to more pain, either. He left the decisions in your hands, quietly standing by with an open heart, ready to pick up the pieces if things went south. When your dad reached out this time, practically begging you to come to dinner, Eric was the one who gently asked, "Are you sure?"

You weren't sure, not really, but you also didn't want to live with the guilt of not trying. After all, he was still your dad. As much as you resented his drinking, you knew there was a man beneath the addiction who once cared about you. You'd seen glimpses of him in your childhood, before everything started to unravel. That man, however fleeting, was the reason you still hadn't completely given up.

Eric had suggested coming along for support. He didn't want you going alone, and you were grateful for that. Having him with you would make it easier, knowing you had someone in your corner if things went wrong. He didn't say it outright, but you both knew the chances of things going wrong were high. Still, this dinner felt like a final attempt to salvage some form of a relationship with your father.

The rational part of you knew that there was a strong possibility your dad would be drunk, just like the other times. But the hopeful part of you wanted to believe that maybe, this time, he'd get it together for one night, for the sake of seeing you and meeting Eric. Maybe having Eric there would remind him of the person he used to be, and he'd manage to stay sober, at least for a couple of hours.

The drive to your father's house had been relatively quiet, apart from the soft hum of Eric's favorite album playing in the background. His hand rested comfortably on your thigh, a small gesture meant to calm your nerves. He knew you were anxious about this dinner, though you hadn't gone into too much detail about why. He didn't need the details to know something weighed heavily on you.

You stared out the window, watching the world blur by as you approached the familiar neighborhood. You hadn't visited your dad in a while. The last few dinners at his place had ended poorly, and the emotional toll it took on you made it harder to convince yourself it was worth it to go back.

Tonight, though, was different. You wanted to give him one more chance, hoping things would be better. With Eric by your side, you thought maybe, just maybe, this time would be different.

Eric glanced over at you, sensing your tension. "You okay, sweetheart?" His voice was gentle, his thumb now rubbing slow circles on your leg.

You nodded, though your stomach was in knots. "I'm fine. Just... you know how it is with him."

Eric nodded. "If you need to leave at any point, just say the word. We'll go, no questions asked."

His support meant the world to you, and you gave him a small smile. "Thanks. I just hope tonight goes okay."

When you arrived, your father greeted you both at the door. The smell of cheap beer hit you immediately, and the sight of an already half-empty bottle in his hand made your stomach churn. He smiled broadly, though it didn't quite reach his eyes. You could tell he'd been drinking for a while already.

Your father was waiting at the door, a half-empty bottle of beer already in hand, swaying slightly as he stood. The sight of him sent a wave of disappointment through you. He was drunk already. Of course he was. You had tried to convince yourself he'd keep it together for one night, that he'd make an effort because you were bringing Eric. But deep down, you knew better.