Four

"So you've been spending the last few weeks visiting that little boy?" Your mom asked. You two were walking through the mall in your mom's neighborhood, shopping together. When you first visited this mall, you were hopeful that it would turn out to be the one that Midoriya and his classmates always went to in the show. But when you finally arrived you saw that, while it was very elegant and modern, it looked completely different from what was depicted in the book. It squashed your hopes that you might live close to any other characters, but maybe running into the people you have so far was enough. Besides, it was still your favorite place to hangout with your mom.

The boy you both were talking about was Shoto, of course. As soon as you went over to your mom's house and she suggested a mall-then-movie date, you knew you had to tell her about him. This would be a good opportunity to get him something, since you knew you couldn't just keep using portals to buy stuff, not only because you were still unlicensed, but because Amaros arbroke it to you that unreserved quirks start using more PI the longer you went without re-experiencing them. What a time to tell you that...

Besides, your mom was too smart to think that all the little things you were buying, some of which you already had at home, were all for yourself. Realizing that you almost forgot to answer her question, you nodded, and she gave you a smile.

"Though he won't let me call him 'kid' or 'little boy'", you said, half disappointed. "He's actually older than me, though I don't see how having a three month head start amounts to anything. Like, at least let me call you twin!"

Your mom shook her head at you, though not condescendingly. "We both know that you'd shove it down his throat if it was the other way around," she told you. You giggled.

"Yeah..." You admitted. You squeezed her hand, looking at her in determination. "But anyways! Mom."

"Hm?"

"You have to promise that you won't tell Dad." You smiled awkwardly when she looked down at you, not looking confused but probably wanting to hear your explanation anyway. "I didn't ask Shoto before telling you all that but... I told you the way he talks about his environment. And his family. His dad absolutely wouldn't approve of me hanging out with him formally. And if Dad found out that's definitely what he'd try to do!"

Your mom pondered over it for a moment. "Yeah, I could see that."

You lit up a bit. "So you won't tell Dad?"

She gave you an all-knowing smile. "As long as, if you ever get caught, you keep my name out of your mouth. You know how your father gets when I help you do things like this."

[Oh wooow, she's talking about the Pink Panda incident again...]

Ignoring the spirit's complaint, you eagerly nodded at your mom, and her smile softened, returning the hand squeeze you gave her earlier. "Alrighty then," she said. She looked around. "I know we already bought a couple things for your friend, but I still feel like we should get him something more personal."

"Yeah.." You agreed, peering into the bag filled with gifts you got for him. It was mostly candies you thought Shoto'd like and little, easily hideable trinkets that made you think of him. You had to admit, though, these things weren't going to be able to occupy his time in the way you were hoping. They were just cute things and snacks that would quickly disappear. You copied your mom's actions, scanning the mall as the two of you walked. You really wanted to get him something that would actually entertain him.

"Do you think that he'd be able to hide a video game?" You looked at your mom, then followed her gaze to a store a bit farther ahead of you.

Your face lit up. "Of course!" You immediately took the lead, rushing ahead while holding your mom's hand, dragging her along. She chuckled at your excitement, allowing you to take her across the mall and into the depths of the store.