Chapter 51

Jacob tucked his head into the back of Eva's shoulder as they flew back to Kain Castle on Arkon. After sitting in a puddle of mud getting pelted by the elements for days on end, the Fall breeze was a breath of fresh air. His clothes dried quickly, the mud drying even faster on his skin and hair.

He wished he was allowed the decency to bathe and change clothes in Dragon Canyon before heading to the castle--and reporting to King Renkon--but the sooner they locked Darius up in Kain Castle's depths, the better he would feel. Even having him hung over Eran's back under Grayson's strict guard was too close for Jacob. He could hardly stand the sight of the sadist, but the thought of how frighteningly close Eva came to falling into the evil prince's hands unsettled Jacob far more.

Eva shouldn't have come. He loved her dearly and was eternally grateful to see her again, but she had fallen right into his trap--one Jacob had also fallen for. If she hadn't succeeded, all of Aboria would have been at risk. His little sister would be at the merciless hands of a horrible monster.

He wasn't sure who he should throttle first: Eva, for being so reckless, or Grayson for encouraging it. Jacob knew how his sister could be--the stubborn force of nature she was--but what was Grayson's excuse? He was supposed to be logical, cold-hearted even. He certainly never had an issue saying "No" to people, yet he let his inexperienced, hot-headed little sister run straight to the enemy.

What the fuck?

Jacob didn't care how good Grayson was, what his previous titles were, how many people he had killed--he promised to keep Eva safe. Letting her get this close to Darius was not safe.

"You'll realise the monster you've harboured. By then, it'll be too late for all of you."

Gods, Jacob hated that those words had stuck with him. He wanted to have faith in his partner. Their very lives depended on their trust in one another. But after this. . . Jacob had his doubts. He didn't believe Grayson to be a monster, that he was certain of, but maybe he didn't know the real Grayson Smith as well as he thought he did. After all, he had only turned over a new leaf three years ago. Did Grayson truly know who he was?

The beautiful capital city of Lexxis glistened the colours of the sunset as they flew over it. The city wasn't as busy as it grew darker, due to a curfew enforced to keep its citizens safe. The thought that these people didn't have to hide away in their homes anymore brought a smile to Jacob's face. Eva did this. She saved them from war and terror. He was so damned proud of her--despite her carelessness.

They landed beside the castle. The royal guard came running out, Captain Quade the first to approach the dragons. His eyes went wide on Jacob. "Greene? I thought you'd been. . . . Smith, what's going on?" His baffled expression went from one Knight to the next, growing more and more confused.

Grayson tossed the unconscious Darius off Eran's back. He landed with a definitive thud at the Captain's feet. "Eva's brought King Renkon a present."

The captain didn't even look at Eva, eyes falling onto Darius' lump figure. "Congratulations, Smith. King Renkon will be very pleased. He will be summoned at once." He gestured back to his men, two of which ran back into the castle.

"Actually," Jacob said, sliding off Arkon. His knees didn't have as much strength in them as he thought, and he stumbled forward. Eva was at his side in an instant, lifting his arm over her shoulders and supporting his weight. He offered her a smile in thanks then faced the captain. "We were able to capture Darius because of Eva."

Eva gave his hand an appreciative squeeze.

Captain Quade waved Jacob's correction off, securing Darius in chains. "I'm sure she helped."