Chapter 2: First Night Together

The drive to Kavya's bungalow felt like a fever dream. The usually busy streets of Navi Mumbai were eerily silent, the city wrapped in a blanket of shock. Even the honking of horns and the typical bustle of the evening rush had disappeared, replaced by the occasional wail of a siren or the distant hum of military vehicles.

Kavya's mind was racing. Two years. Locked in her house with three boys she barely knew. How were they supposed to manage that? Her home, usually a sanctuary, now felt like a cage, and the weight of the situation began to press down on her chest.

The house itself was impressive — a large, four-bedroom bungalow with high walls and a gated entrance. It had been her family's pride, a reflection of their wealth and status. But now, as the group piled out of the car and stepped into the driveway, the place felt too big, too quiet. Almost oppressive.

"You live here?" Rohit asked, his voice filled with awe as he took in the size of the place.

Kavya nodded, swallowing hard. She didn't want to explain how this house, once full of laughter and warmth, now felt like a hollow shell after her family's death. It wasn't the time to unpack those feelings, so she focused on the task at hand.

"We should get inside and lock everything down," she said, her voice firmer than she felt. "The curfew means no one will be allowed out, and we don't know what's happening outside."

The boys followed her in, quiet and unsure. The house's grand entrance opened into a spacious living room, with plush sofas and floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked a manicured lawn. The pool out back shimmered under the moonlight, its surface calm, unlike the storm of emotions swirling inside Kavya.

She closed the door behind them, turning the deadbolt with a click that echoed in the silence. It felt final, as if that simple sound had just sealed their fate.

"So... what now?" Aarav asked, shifting uncomfortably as he stood in the center of the room, his eyes darting around. Despite his easy-going demeanor, it was clear he was just as rattled as the rest of them.

"We survive," Kavya replied simply, heading toward the kitchen. "I have enough food and supplies to last us for at least four months. We just need to figure out how we're going to live together for the next two years."

"That's a long time," Siddharth muttered, rubbing the back of his neck as he glanced at the windows. "Two years... It sounds unreal."

"It is unreal," Rohit said, his voice quieter than usual. He had always been the pragmatic one among his friends, but even this situation was beyond what he could process.

Kavya began to pull out supplies from the cupboards: pasta, rice, canned goods, enough to feed an army. As she worked, she felt the boys' eyes on her, all waiting for direction. She wasn't sure how she had become the default leader of this group, but it wasn't like they had much of a choice. The weight of responsibility settled on her shoulders like an uncomfortable cloak.

"Why don't you all settle into your rooms?" Kavya suggested. "There's a guest room upstairs, and the two other rooms down the hall. You can figure out who sleeps where. I'll be in my room if you need me."

The boys exchanged glances before heading toward the hallway, their footsteps echoing on the marble floors. Siddharth lingered behind, his brow furrowed as he watched Kavya move around the kitchen with practiced efficiency.

"You okay?" he asked quietly, his deep voice breaking the silence between them.

Kavya paused, her hands gripping the edge of the counter. She wanted to say yes, to brush off his concern with a smile, but the words stuck in her throat. The truth was, she wasn't okay. None of this was okay. But admitting that felt like opening a floodgate she wasn't ready to deal with.

"I'm fine," she lied, forcing a tight smile. "Just... processing."

Siddharth nodded, though his eyes said he didn't believe her. But he didn't push, sensing she needed space. "If you need anything, just call out."

Kavya nodded, grateful for his understanding. As he walked away, she leaned against the counter, letting out a shaky breath. The quiet of the house pressed in around her, the weight of the moment settling heavily on her chest.

Two years.

She closed her eyes and tried to block out the thoughts that threatened to overwhelm her. This was her reality now. She had to figure out how to keep it together — for herself and for them.

As the boys explored their new living situation, there was an awkward tension in the air. None of them had anticipated being stuck together, and each of them carried their own baggage into this situation. They were no longer just students navigating exams and social lives. Now they were survivors, trapped in a world that had just been turned upside down.

Aarav claimed one of the downstairs rooms, while Rohit took the other. Siddharth, after a brief internal debate, opted for the upstairs guest room. It felt strange, making such mundane decisions when the world outside was spiraling into chaos, but there was something comforting about having control over even the smallest details.

Kavya retreated to her room, closing the door behind her. It had been her sanctuary ever since her family's accident, the only place where she could let herself feel everything without judgment. But now, even here, the weight of responsibility felt inescapable.

She sank onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. This was her house, and these people were her new reality. She had no idea how they were going to survive two years together, but one thing was certain — nothing would ever be the same again.