Chapter 7: A Clash of Tempers

The atmosphere in the house had been tense for days. While the four friends had gotten along well during most of the lockdown, it seemed the stress of their confined living conditions was beginning to take a toll. Small disagreements had started to pop up, but today was different. It wasn't just a minor spat; it was the kind of confrontation that had been simmering under the surface for weeks.

It all started innocuously enough. They were all gathered in the living room after dinner, lounging and scrolling through their respective phones. Kavya had just finished explaining a complex medical case study to Siddharth, who had been asking her questions about her coursework. Rohit, however, had been silently brooding in the corner for the past hour, his mood darkening with each passing minute.

"I still don't get why you're wasting time with this," Rohit suddenly blurted, interrupting their conversation.

Kavya looked up, confused. "Wasting time with what?"

"This," he waved his hand toward Siddharth. "Spending hours on stuff that doesn't even matter. We're in the middle of a lockdown, and here you are talking about future careers like we have any control over what happens next."

Siddharth, caught off guard, narrowed his eyes. "It's not a waste of time, Rohit. We're making the best of the situation by staying productive."

Rohit scoffed, standing up from the couch. "Productive? You call this productive? We're all stuck here indefinitely, and instead of facing reality, you're hiding behind textbooks and pointless discussions."

"Rohit, calm down," Kavya interjected, her voice steady but firm.

But Rohit wasn't calming down. His frustration had reached its peak. "I'm tired of everyone acting like everything is normal! Newsflash: nothing is normal! While you two are cozying up with your intellectual debates, Aarav and I are the only ones actually dealing with this!"

Siddharth stood up, his body tense. "What's that supposed to mean? We're all dealing with it, Rohit. You don't have a monopoly on stress."

Rohit's jaw clenched, his fists balling at his sides. "Oh yeah? Because from where I'm standing, it looks like you're just trying to impress Kavya with your brainy crap."

Siddharth's eyes flared with anger. "That's not what this is about, and you know it."

The tension in the room was palpable, and Kavya stepped between them, trying to defuse the situation. "Guys, this isn't worth fighting over."

But it was too late. Rohit, his emotions running high, suddenly took a step forward and swung his fist at Siddharth. The punch landed hard against Siddharth's jaw, sending him stumbling backward and crashing into the coffee table.

"Rohit!" Kavya screamed, rushing to Siddharth's side as he clutched his face in pain.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Aarav shouted, jumping up from the couch and grabbing Rohit's arm to hold him back.

Rohit's chest was heaving, his eyes wild with a mixture of rage and regret. "He's been acting like he's got everything figured out while the rest of us are struggling! I'm sick of it!"

Siddharth groaned as Kavya knelt beside him, gently touching the side of his face where the bruise was already forming. "Sid, are you okay?"

He nodded, wincing as he tried to sit up. "Yeah, I'm fine," he muttered, though the pain in his voice said otherwise.

Kavya turned to Rohit, her eyes blazing with anger. "What is wrong with you? You didn't have to hit him!"

Rohit's face fell as the realization of what he'd done set in. "I... I didn't mean to... I just..." He trailed off, looking down at his clenched fists in disbelief.

Aarav, still holding onto Rohit's arm, gave him a firm shake. "You've lost it, man. This isn't how we handle things."

"I know," Rohit whispered, his shoulders slumping as the adrenaline began to fade.

Kavya's heart pounded as she turned back to Siddharth, who was now sitting upright but still in obvious pain. She reached out, cupping his face gently. "Let me see," she said softly.

Siddharth winced but didn't pull away as she carefully examined the growing bruise. "I'm fine, Kav," he repeated, his voice softer this time.

She shook her head, her fingers lingering on his cheek. "No, you're not. That was completely uncalled for."

Aarav, still holding onto Rohit, gave him a stern look. "Apologize. Now."

Rohit, his eyes full of remorse, took a deep breath and stepped forward. "Sid, I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I just... I snapped."

Siddharth looked up at him, still cradling his jaw. For a moment, there was silence as everyone waited for his response.

"Rohit," Siddharth finally said, his voice low, "this isn't the way to deal with things. We're all frustrated, but we have to stick together. Next time, talk it out instead of throwing punches."

Rohit nodded, his face pale. "I will. I'm sorry, man."

Kavya helped Siddharth to his feet, still furious but relieved that the situation hadn't escalated further. As they all stood there, the reality of their fragile situation hit them. They were four people stuck in a house, surrounded by an uncertain world. If they couldn't rely on each other, then they had nothing.

"Let's just... cool off," Kavya said quietly, her voice shaking slightly. "We can't afford to fall apart like this."

And with that, the tension in the room slowly began to dissolve, though the memory of Rohit's punch and Siddharth's pain would linger for days to come.