Chapter 5: Nightmares and Secrets

The quiet night outside was in stark contrast to the turmoil in Kavya's heart. The dark, the silence-it always brought the memories flooding back. For years, she had kept it locked away, hidden beneath a carefully constructed facade of strength. But tonight, the memories broke through. Her heart pounded in her chest as flashes of the past danced before her eyes: the long drive her family had taken toward Kedarnath, her parents smiling in the front seat, and the sudden, terrifying explosion that ended it all.

She woke up in a cold sweat, her breath coming in short, panicked gasps. The nightmare had been vivid, too real, too painful. She hadn't had a nightmare like this in months, and it felt like all the grief she'd been trying to suppress was suddenly rushing back to the surface.

The door to her bedroom flew open. Aarav was the first to appear, his expression worried, his voice filled with concern. "Kavya! What's wrong? Are you okay?"

She sat up, her hands trembling as she tried to steady herself. "It's fine," she lied, her voice cracking. "Just... just a bad dream."

But it wasn't fine. Her entire body was shaking, and she couldn't stop the tears from welling up in her eyes. Aarav, noticing how distraught she looked, hesitated for a moment before stepping closer, unsure of what to do. "Do you... do you want to talk about it?"

She shook her head, unable to meet his gaze. Talking about it wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't bring her family back.

By now, Rohit and Siddharth had also appeared at the door, their faces mirroring Aarav's concern. They all knew something was wrong, but none of them knew how to fix it. In the end, it was Siddharth who made the first move. He stepped forward and sat down on the edge of her bed, his presence quiet and reassuring. He didn't say anything, just sat there, letting her know he was there if she needed him.

For a while, no one said a word. The room was filled with the soft sound of Kavya's shaky breathing as she tried to compose herself. Finally, she spoke, her voice barely a whisper. "It's... it's been three years since my family died."

The boys exchanged glances, unsure of how to respond. They had all known Kavya had lost her family, but she never talked about it. They had always assumed she didn't want to. Now, they realized how much pain she had been carrying alone.

"They were going to Kedarnath," Kavya continued, her voice wavering as she spoke. "It was supposed to be a family trip. They... they never came back. There was a terrorist attack. An explosion." Her voice cracked, and the tears she had been holding back finally spilled over. "I wasn't with them. I was supposed to go, but I had exams. I didn't get to say goodbye."

Siddharth's hand found hers, squeezing gently, offering her silent support. The others stayed quiet, knowing this wasn't the time to interrupt or offer platitudes. This was Kavya's moment to grieve, and they respected that.

"I've spent the last three years trying to act like I'm okay," she continued, her voice barely audible. "But I'm not. I miss them every single day. And every time I think I'm getting better, the nightmares come back. The guilt comes back."

"You don't have to do this alone," Siddharth said softly, his voice full of understanding. "We're here for you. You don't have to pretend with us."

Kavya looked up at him, her vision blurred by tears. For the first time in what felt like forever, she didn't feel alone. She didn't feel like she had to carry this burden by herself.

She nodded, wiping her tears away with the back of her hand. "Thanks. I just... I needed to get that out."

Siddharth stayed with her a little longer, and gradually, the other boys left the room, sensing that this moment between Kavya and Siddharth was something deeper. As the silence returned to the room, Kavya felt a strange sense of relief. She wasn't okay, but maybe she didn't have to be-not as long as she had them.

That night, she fell asleep with a little less weight on her heart.