Chapter 1: The Garba Night

The festive atmosphere at the Garba ground buzzed with vibrant colors, swirling skirts, and rhythmic beats echoing through the air. Dressed in a deep red lehenga, Kavya twirled gracefully, the tiny bells on her dupatta chiming softly. Tonight, she wasn't a studious fourth-year medical student or the girl who lived alone in a grand but empty bungalow. She was just a participant, losing herself in the music, surrounded by the laughter of friends and strangers alike.  It was her favorite time of the year — a break from the intense stress of med school, where she could just lose herself in the beats of music and forget the world. 

But not tonight. Tonight felt different.

Standing near the edge of the dancing crowd, Aarav watched the festivities with a small smile. He'd only come because a few classmates had insisted, and to his surprise, he'd run into Kavya, a familiar face from college. He admired the carefree way she moved, unlike the serious demeanor she usually had in lectures. He was about to step forward to say hello when an ear-splitting sound ripped through the air.

BOOM!

The ground beneath them seemed to tremble. The music screeched to a stop, and chaos erupted. Screams replaced the joyous shouts. People began running in every direction, stumbling over each other as fear spread like wildfire. Aarav's eyes darted around, desperately searching for the source of the explosion, but all he could see were panicked faces and clouds of smoke.

Kavya, frozen in shock, felt a strong arm grab her wrist. She whirled around to see Aarav's familiar face, his expression tense. "Come on, we have to go!" he shouted over the noise, pulling her away from the stampede.

"Wha— what's happening?" she stammered, her heart racing.

"No time to explain. We need to get out of here!" Aarav replied, glancing around. That's when he spotted two other figures racing toward them — Rohit and Siddharth.

Rohit, the slightly built, sharp-featured law student, looked out of place in the chaos. His eyes were wide, but his steps were quick as he reached them. "Aarav, Kavya! You guys okay?"

Before they could respond, Siddharth appeared beside them, his usually calm face set in grim determination. He was taller than the rest, his shoulders broad and frame athletic — a stark contrast to his gentle demeanor as a research intern. He looked at Aarav and Kavya with a mixture of urgency and fear. "There's more coming. I heard people say it's a terrorist attack."

"What?" Kavya gasped. Her mind reeled. Terrorist attack? Here?

"Look," Siddharth pointed behind them, where the flashes of light and smoke rose in the distance. "We need to leave. Now."

Kavya's heart pounded in her chest, each beat louder than the last. This couldn't be happening. It felt like a nightmare — like something out of the news, not real life. But the panic in everyone's eyes and the deafening noise told her it was very real.

"We can't stay here," Rohit agreed, scanning the crowd for a clear exit. "We'll be trampled or worse."

"I— my car's parked nearby," Kavya managed to say, forcing her mind to work through the fear. "Come on, it's this way."

They sprinted through the chaos, dodging screaming families and groups of friends desperately clinging to each other. The fear in the air was palpable, suffocating, but Kavya led the way, her body moving on autopilot. She just needed to get to the car, and then... then what?

They reached the parking lot, where her white SUV stood like a beacon of hope amidst the madness. Without a word, they piled in — Aarav in the passenger seat, Rohit and Siddharth crammed into the back.

"Go, go, go!" Siddharth urged as Kavya fumbled with the keys, her hands shaking.

She took a deep breath, then another. With a turn of the ignition, the engine roared to life, and they peeled out of the lot, leaving the chaos behind. As they sped away, the streets around them were eerily deserted. The entire city seemed frozen, suspended in fear and uncertainty.

"What now?" Rohit asked, his voice strained.

"We go to my place," Kavya said firmly, though her mind was still racing. "It's safe, and it's stocked with everything we need."

"Stocked?" Siddharth asked, frowning slightly.

Kavya nodded. "My family was... was always cautious. After the accident, I made sure to keep the house ready for emergencies." Her voice wavered slightly, but she pushed on, glancing at them. "We'll figure out what's happening and what to do next. Together."

As if on cue, a sudden blaring noise filled the car. Kavya looked down at the dashboard screen, where an emergency broadcast message flashed.

"Attention! Due to ongoing terrorist activities, the government has announced a two-year lockdown effective immediately. All residents must stay indoors. Only designated personnel are allowed outside. A LONG WAR AWAITS. 2 YEARS!! Curfew begins now."

Silence filled the car as the weight of the words sank in. Two years? They looked at each other, disbelief and dread reflected in their eyes.

"I guess we're really stuck together now," Rohit murmured, breaking the tense silence.

Kavya gripped the steering wheel tighter. Two years, locked down. With three boys she barely knew.

"Yeah," she whispered. "I guess we are."