🔞 [renluo] red on his teeth; red in my dreams

cw: nsfw, Blade/Luocha, vampire AU, implied/referenced self-harm, intentional fasting/starvation, mental health issues

nsfw cw: mildly dubious consent, oral sex, painplay, biting, marking, bruises

🚂 _ _ _ _ 💫

A cold wind against his nape alerts Luocha to the newly opened window.

Even before he turns around, Luocha knows who it is. Blade stares back at him, arms crossed, wind-mussed hair partly obscuring his carmine gaze. It is unclear whether his leaning against the window frame is a sign of exhaustion, or simply a pose he's assumed while waiting for Luocha to take notice. It could be both. Luocha tells himself he doesn't care which one it is.

"What do you want?" he asks, rising from his desk. More lamp light spills onto Blade, illuminating the other's wan complexion, the sunkenness of his eyes. He looks like death—even for a vampire.

"Good evening to you too," Blade mumbles. He straightens up and walks over to Luocha. "I need to feed." His gaze falls upon the books and papers strewn on the latter's desk, briefly, disinterestedly. "Unless you are too preoccupied tonight."

Luocha huffs out a laugh. "Since when did you care whether I'm busy or not?" If Blade had found him asleep, Luocha is certain he would wake up the next morning with bite marks on him. Not that it ever disturbed his sleep in any way—but still, the hollow, slightly disgruntled sensation he always felt upon discovery has made him wonder a few times if he should bring it up to Blade. "Come on; let's get this over with."

He goes to take off his shirt—he usually lets Blade bite him on the shoulder—but a gloved hand stops him. Blade seems hesitant... almost guilty. "I mean it. I asked, because... I'm going to need more than usual tonight."

You could do well to feed more often, Luocha wants to say, but thinks better of it. He initially thought the contract Blade made with him was out of possessiveness, that he would not drink from anyone else if Luocha also didn't allow anyone to drink from him. Research told Luocha, though, that there are no effects on the host even if fed on by multiple vampires, except that they may die if they become drained of blood, which... obviously. So for a while he thought maybe the vampires could detect a difference, and that he's entangled himself with some kind of pervert—until he found out that if Blade wasn't feeding on him, he wasn't feeding on anyone or anything else either, and Luocha is of course aware of how long they go without seeing each other sometimes. So Blade probably is sick, but not in the way Luocha had assumed he is. And if anything, their contract may be one of his efforts to get better—though lately Blade has not been taking advantage of it much.

"That's fine," Luocha says, but Blade's hand still lingers on his.

"The shoulder might not be ideal," he says levelly. "It will take a long time, and feel more unpleasant than usual, since the blood vessels there are relatively inadequate."

"Then... are you asking for an artery?" Luocha narrows his eyes. They've established that his neck is off-limits, Luocha wanting none of the trouble of walking around with visible marks. "Where?"

Blade blinks, long and slow. "Your thigh."

"My—" In retrospect, Luocha should have known. Given his ample medical knowledge, he should have realized that besides the neck and thigh, any other major arteries would be too deep within the body for fangs to reach. Still.... He feels his face turn warm at the thought. "And how do you suppose you'll get to that?"