SEVENTEEN: Dragons and Snitches

On Friday, Parvati's wish came true much stronger than she had hoped. She didn't know the specifics, but she was convinced it had something to do with Mary. Mary was already in the classroom before the bell rang while the rest of them were lined up in the corridor, waiting. She was whispering this to Lavender when Mary looked straight at them and raised an eyebrow.

Even though it was almost official, Mary didn't want anyone to find out about Snape being her guardian just yet. She was not ready for the direction the gossip network would indubitably go for. Hatred for Severus Snape ran very strong among the Hogwarts students, and while she had been among their ranks previously, she didn't know where she stood anymore.

Snape, on the other hand, was definitely in a good mood. His beetle-black eyes shone a little brighter than usual, like thawing snow glistening in the spring sun. The ghost of a smile lingered on his lips since their conversation.

"What did you tell Snape to make him so happy?" Ron whispered to her.

Mary was measuring some ingredients, eyeing the scales to make sure both sides were balanced. "Can we talk about this later? I'm trying to get the measurements right."

Ron snorted. "Since when?"

"Since –" Mary transferred the knotgrass into her mortar, " – today. New year, new me. Isn't that how it works?"

"Oh, please. You don't have to put up an act in front of me."

Poorly suppressing a smirk, Mary ignored him. She really didn't want to mess up her potion. Successfully brewing the Cure for Ague over Christmas break had filled her with confidence, and since being in the same room as Snape was no longer a bad thing, she was in no rush to leave. She wanted to do well in Potions like she did in Astronomy, Herbology, and History of Magic. If she couldn't be good at Transfiguration like her father, thanks to her untrustworthy wand, then she wanted to be good at Potions like her mother.

She stayed up late that night to finish the homework they had been assigned even though she had the whole weekend ahead of her. Even Hermione insisted that they had time.

"Mary, don't you think you're getting a little obsessed?" she said. She was sitting on the armchair with her legs over the armrest. The little space between the armchair and the low table in front of it was occupied by Mary, who preferred to sit on the ground for better access. They boys had long retreated upstairs for bed.

Mary laughed. "Obsessed? Whatever do you mean, Hermione?"

"You want to be just like your parents –"

"Is it a bad thing that they're my role models?" Mary said. She looked around at Hermione to study her face.

Hermione pursed her lips. She looked like she wanted to say something, but was holding herself back. "Role models," she said slowly to steady herself, "are one thing – they're for inspiration – but you – you want to make yourself some kind of carbon copy –"

"You're exaggerating," Mary said flatly. She turned her back on Hermione. "Now, if you don't mind, I've got a lot of work to do."

Hermione's lips were pressed into a hard line. But, "Good night," was all she said before stalking off to the girls' dormitory.

"She's right, you know," James Potter said, popping into the armchair.

"Not you, too!" Mary protested, leaning back against his leg. "It's the only way I know to be close to you: re-live the experiences you had, even if it's just Transfiguration or Potions. Magic is all I've got left from you."

"No, it's not," James said softly, tapping his daughter's head with each word.

"Yes, it is," Mary said, imitating his beat. "What else is there?"