Another Super Soldier

'kids
forever
kids
forever
baby soft
skin turns
into leather.'

...

(Mrs. Potato Head, Melanie Martinez)

They managed to get out of the subway station without any problems, and without drawing any more attention to themselves. It was a good thing Beth had packed some clothes beforehand and Lucia had kept on her cargo pants but instead stripped down to a camel-coloured tight tank top her friend handed her.

As they trudged along the dusty freeway, the small town loomed ahead, its few buildings standing like lonely sentinels against the vast landscape. Ending up in a small town with very few people, they began searching for a convenience store, looking for basic supplies and a place to sit down for a little. Figure out what was next.

"If the Red Room is still active then where is it?" Natasha asked.

Yelena kicked a rock down the road, watching it skitter away. "I have no idea," she replied honestly, her voice heavy with frustration. "He moves locations constantly, and every Widow is sedated upon entry and exit for maximum security."

"I'm just finding it hard that he could stay off our radar," Nat shook her head before looking at her youngest sister. "Lucia, how's your knee?"

"Sore. I need to find a strap," Lucia replied, wincing as she limped slightly, pointing toward the convenience store just up ahead. "And liquor."

Yelena shot her a sceptical look. "It's not smart to attack an Avenger if you want to stay hidden. I mean, the clue is in the name. Dreykov kills you, and then one of the big ones comes to avenge you."

Beth frowned, confused. "Wait, what are the big ones?"

As they stepped inside the store, the dim lighting illuminated the aisles filled with everyday essentials. Lucia's focus shifted to the shelves, knowing she had the best chance of finding medical supplies to clean and patch up Yelena's arm. 

She navigated expertly through the narrow aisles, her fingers trailing across the boxes and bottles until she spotted antiseptic wipes and gauze. Meanwhile, Beth and Yelena rummaged through the other shelves, looking for ibuprofen and anything else they might need.

"Well, I doubt the God from space would have to take an ibuprofen after a fight," Yelena shrugged. 

Finding what she needed, Lucia wandered up the aisles, finding both of her sisters at what appeared to be the beginning of a heated conversation.

"Where did you guys even think I was all this time?" Yelena stammered, her eyes darting between her sisters.

Natasha shrugged, moving toward the sink at the back of the store. "I thought you got out and were living a normal life."

"And you just never made contact again?" Yelena's voice wavered, almost pained.

"Honestly, I thought you didn't want to see us."

"Bullshit," Yelena scoffed, "You just didn't want your baby sister to tag along, whilst you saved the world with all your cool friends."

Natasha shook her head, placing her supplies down at the register. "You weren't really our sister," she insisted, her voice steady but strained.

"Nat," Lucia shot her a hard look, sadness flashing in her eyes.

"And the Avengers aren't really your family. But, no, it's fine, Lu." The blonde shrugged, eyes flashing immense hurt. "The good thing not really being her sister, like you, is that I never dealt with Dreykov looking at me like I was second best. I didn't have either of you as my liability."