Chapter 1, Part 4: Siren's Call

The fog pressed in around The Siren's Call, thick as wool and suffocating in its silence. For a brief, terrifying moment, the only sound was the frantic breathing of the crew and the rhythmic creaking of the ship's hull, as if it too were holding its breath. But then, cutting through the oppressive stillness, came that sound—the song.

It started soft, almost indistinct, like the faint echo of wind over the water. But it wasn't wind. It was something else, something far older and more dangerous. A melody, high and sweet, carried through the thick fog, twisting in the air like smoke. Liora's breath hitched in her throat as she recognized it. The siren's call.

The haunting melody slithered its way into the minds of the crew, wrapping around their senses like invisible chains. The men stopped in their tracks, some lowering their weapons, others standing eerily still. Their eyes glazed over, as though they were in a dream. A few of them began to sway on their feet, their faces slack, their gazes unfocused.

"No..." Liora whispered under her breath. "Not here. Not now."

The song grew louder, filling the air with its hypnotic pull, a sound both beautiful and terrible, calling to the darkest parts of their souls. It wasn't just a sound; it was a feeling—a yearning, deep and primal, pulling them toward the edge of the ship.

Griggs was the first to move.

The young deckhand, his eyes wide and vacant, stumbled forward, his hands reaching out as if beckoned by some unseen force. He staggered toward the rail, his footsteps slow and deliberate, as if he had all the time in the world.

"Griggs!" Liora's voice snapped like a whip, but he didn't hear her. He didn't stop.

"Finn!" she barked, looking for her first mate, but he was already struggling to hold back two other crewmen who were doing the same—slowly walking, entranced, toward the edge of the ship.

"Captain!" Finn grunted, grabbing one of the men by the collar and yanking him backward. "They're—!"

"I know!" Liora cut him off, her heart racing. She stormed toward Griggs, grabbing him by the shoulders just before he could climb over the rail. His eyes were blank, his lips slightly parted as if he were listening to something only he could hear.

"Snap out of it!" Liora shook him, hard. "Griggs!"

But he barely reacted. His eyes flicked to her for the briefest moment, clouded with confusion, but then he was looking past her again, drawn by the invisible force of the song.

Liora clenched her jaw and slapped him across the face, the sharp sound cracking through the air. Griggs blinked, his trance broken, and for a second, she saw the boy again, terrified and shaking.

"Cap—Captain?" he stammered, his voice hoarse. "What—what was I—?"

"No time!" she snapped, pushing him away from the rail. "Get below deck, now!"

Griggs stumbled backwards, wide-eyed, but he obeyed, nearly tripping over his own feet as he ran toward the hatch. Liora turned, scanning the deck. More of her men were wandering toward the edges of the ship, their expressions vacant, their movements slow and dreamlike.

"Finn, get them below!" she shouted. "All of them!"

Finn nodded, dragging the crewmen away from the rails, but it was clear the song was affecting everyone. Even Finn himself looked dazed, blinking hard as if trying to shake off a dream.

Liora felt the pull too.

The song was everywhere, in the air, in her mind, like a soft caress against her skin. It beckoned her with a promise, whispered of things lost and things found. Treasure. Power. Her hands trembled as she gripped the helm, trying to steady herself. She could feel it—something deep in her bones, like the tide pulling her toward the abyss.

But Liora was no ordinary sailor. She had faced down death before, and seen things that would drive lesser men mad. And she knew that this—this siren's call—was a lie. A beautiful, seductive lie.

With a snarl, she tore her gaze from the water and forced herself to focus. "It's just a song," she muttered through gritted teeth. "Nothing but a damn song."

But as the melody grew louder, more seductive, she wasn't sure if she believed her own words.

Suddenly, a scream cut through the fog.

Liora's heart lurched, and she spun around just in time to see one of her crew—a man named Reyes—fling himself over the side of the ship. His body vanished into the red-stained water below with barely a splash, swallowed by the sea as if he had never been there at all.

"No!" Liora shouted, running toward the edge, but it was too late. He was gone.

The other crew members were still moving, still swaying toward the rail like moths drawn to a flame. One by one, they moved closer to the water's edge, their faces slack, their eyes unfocused.

Liora's breath came in sharp gasps, her mind racing. If she didn't act fast, she would lose them all.

"Finn!" she shouted, grabbing the first mate by the arm. He was struggling to hold back two more men, his face slick with sweat, his eyes half-closed in a trance.

Liora shook him hard. "Snap out of it, damn you!"

Finn blinked, his vision clearing for a moment. "Captain... I—"

"Get below deck, now!" Liora ordered. "Lock the doors if you have to!"

Finn, still dazed, nodded and began dragging the others with him, his grip tight as if holding on for dear life. One by one, they stumbled toward the hatch, their movements sluggish, but they obeyed. For now.

Liora stood alone on the deck, the wind whipping her hair, her heart pounding in her chest. The song was still there, curling through the air like smoke, but she fought it. She had to.

She stepped back from the edge, her fists clenched. "You won't take me," she whispered, her voice low and fierce. "I won't let you."

But even as she said the words, the siren's call seemed to grow louder, more insistent, as if the sea itself was whispering her name.