Chapter 2, Part 3: Beneath the Surface

The damp chill of the lower deck gnawed at Liora's skin as she moved through the shadows, her sword drawn, its blade gleaming faintly in the dim lantern light. The brackish water sloshed beneath her boots, soaking through her leather soles, but she pushed forward, Finn at her side. His breath was heavy, a mix of adrenaline and dread.

Every few steps, the ship groaned as if in pain, the creaking of the timbers unnerving even the most seasoned sailors. But it wasn't just the usual strain of a vessel at sea—something else was moving through the ship, something that didn't belong.

The dim lantern cast flickering shadows, twisting in unnatural ways along the walls, the reflection of water glistening like oil. The lower deck felt smaller, more oppressive, as if the ship itself was tightening around them.

"Keep your eyes sharp," Liora muttered, her voice low and tense. Her grip tightened on the hilt of her sword as they moved deeper into the belly of the ship. She could feel the pressure mounting, the eerie silence pressing in around them, broken only by the soft drip of water and the distant groan of the hull.

Finn's jaw was set, his eyes scanning the darkness ahead. "Whatever dragged Jonah... it's still down here," he murmured. His voice was low, but the unease was clear.

Liora nodded, her mind racing. The ship had felt wrong ever since they entered these waters, but the attack—Jonah being dragged into the darkness—was something beyond the usual dangers of the sea. It was something ancient, something tied to the cursed waters of the Scarlet Tides.

The medallion's cold weight rested against her chest beneath her coat. She hadn't told Finn about the witch's words, or the strange pull she felt whenever she touched it. But now, with the crew on edge and the ship itself seemingly under siege, she couldn't deny that the medallion might hold more power than she had bargained for.

They reached the far end of the lower deck, the shadows thickening in the corners of the room. Water pooled on the floor, dark and slick, reflecting the faint glow of the lantern. There was no sign of Jonah. No sign of anything. But the air felt thick, suffocating.

"Nothing," Finn muttered, frustration edging into his voice. "But I swear I saw something..."

Before he could finish, the ship gave a sudden, violent lurch. The floor tilted sharply, and both Liora and Finn stumbled, barely catching themselves on the railing as the ship seemed to groan under the weight of something massive below.

The water at their feet rippled violently, and for a brief, heart-stopping moment, Liora saw movement beneath the surface—a dark shape, undulating like a serpent in the depths.

"There!" Finn shouted, pointing to the water. "Did you see it?"

Liora's pulse quickened as she strained her eyes, but the shape had vanished, slipping back into the blackness as if it had never been there.

A cold chill crawled up her spine. "Something's beneath the ship."

Before they could react, a low, guttural sound echoed through the hull. It wasn't the usual creak of wood—it was something deeper, almost alive, like a heartbeat reverberating through the very bones of the ship. Liora exchanged a glance with Finn, her heart racing.

"We need to get out of here," she said, turning toward the stairs. But as she took a step, Finn's hand shot out, grabbing her arm.

"Liora, wait," he said, his voice low, but firm. "There's something you're not telling me."

Liora froze, her eyes narrowing as she turned to face him. "What are you talking about?"

Finn's gaze flicked down to her chest, where the outline of the medallion was barely visible beneath her coat. "That thing... the medallion you took from that ship. You've had it since we left port. Ever since we entered these waters, things have gone wrong. The crew knows it. They're afraid. And I'm starting to think it's no coincidence."

Liora's hand instinctively went to the medallion, her fingers brushing the cold metal through the fabric. She wanted to deny it, wanted to dismiss Finn's suspicion, but deep down, she knew he wasn't wrong. The medallion wasn't just a trinket. It was something much darker, something tied to the Scarlet Tides—and to the witch who had appeared from the sea.

"I don't know what this medallion is," Liora said, her voice low but steady. "But I didn't ask for this. It was just... another prize. I didn't know it would bring this kind of curse."

Finn's eyes darkened. "A curse is exactly what it is, Captain. You saw that witch. She wanted something from you. She warned us about the Scarlet Tides. This medallion—whatever it is—it's connected to her."

Liora clenched her jaw, frustration building inside her. "What do you want me to do, Finn? Throw it overboard and hope the sea forgives us? This ship is already cursed. We're in the thick of it now."

Finn stared at her for a long moment, the tension between them thick. "If we don't do something, the crew will turn. They're scared, and scared men are dangerous."

Liora sighed, running a hand through her hair. She knew he was right. The medallion felt like a heavy weight, pulling her deeper into something she couldn't control. But giving it up... that wasn't an option. Not yet.

"We find out what this is," she said firmly. "We face whatever's down there, and we survive. Like we always do."

Finn didn't respond immediately, but eventually, he gave a curt nod. "Aye, Captain. But we need to be ready. Whatever's in these waters... it's not done with us yet."

They turned to head back up the stairs, but just as they reached the top, the ship gave another violent lurch. This time, the sound of splintering wood echoed through the hull, followed by the unmistakable rush of water flooding into the lower decks.

Liora's heart raced as she turned to Finn, their eyes locking with a shared sense of dread.

The ship was taking on water. Fast.