Chapter 2, Part 2: Shadows in the Fog

The fog was thick enough to choke, swirling across the deck of The Siren's Call in slow, deliberate patterns. It pressed in from every direction, muting the sound of the waves and leaving an eerie, unsettling silence. Liora stood at the helm, her hand hovering just above the wheel, her breath coming in shallow bursts. Something was wrong. She could feel it in her bones.

Finn appeared at her side, his face pale, the usual grit in his eyes clouded by fear. "Cap'n, we've got a problem."

Liora turned to him, already knowing what he was going to say. "What is it?"

Finn's jaw clenched. "The ship... it's moving, but no one's at the helm. The sails are limp. There's no wind. And the crew—"

He didn't need to finish. Liora could see it on their faces. Her men had gathered near the railings, their eyes wide, their hands gripping ropes and weapons as if they could fend off whatever haunted them. A few stood frozen, staring into the dense fog that surrounded the ship.

"The fog's unnatural," Finn said, glancing toward the shifting mist. "Jonah's been talkin' about shadows—says he saw somethin' movin' just beyond the rail."

Liora's stomach tightened, but she kept her voice steady. "They're seeing things because they're scared."

"I don't know, Cap'n." Finn's eyes darkened as he stepped closer. "I felt it too. Something out there, watching. The compass has been spinning useless since we hit this fog."

Liora looked at the deck, then at the eerie stillness of the water. The ship was gliding forward, slicing through the crimson sea like a ghost, guided by something unseen. There was no wind, no current. The calm was unnatural, and the whispers in the air were growing louder.

"I've sailed through cursed waters before, but this," Finn continued, his voice lowering, "this is different. Something's not right."

Before Liora could respond, a sound tore through the silence—a sharp crack of wood splintering, followed by a scream. It came from below deck.

Liora's heart leapt into her throat. "Finn, with me!" she shouted, sprinting toward the stairwell leading below deck.

They reached the dark passage just as one of the crewmen—Jonah—burst from the shadows, his face pale with terror. He stumbled toward them, gasping for breath.

"They're below!" Jonah cried, his eyes wide. "They're in the water—there's something in the ship!"

Before Liora could stop him, a dark, wet shape lashed out from the shadows, wrapping around Jonah's leg and yanking him backwards into the darkness. His scream was cut off as the mist swallowed him whole.

Liora's hand flew to her sword, unsheathing it with a sharp metallic hiss. "Stay close!" she ordered Finn, her pulse pounding in her ears as they stepped into the shadows where Jonah had vanished.

The lower deck was drenched in brackish water, the floor slick beneath their feet. The smell of decay and rot filled the air, making Liora gag. And in the dim light, she saw it—something dark and wet, retreating into the ship's cracks.

"Gods," Finn whispered, his face pale. "What the hell was that?"

Liora tightened her grip on her sword, her voice cold and steady. "Whatever it was, it's not done with us."