Chapter 3, Part 3: The Serpent's Fury

The creature was upon her in an instant, its massive serpentine body cutting through the water with terrifying speed. The flare's dying light cast an eerie glow across the surface of the blood-red sea, illuminating the sleek, black scales of the beast as it surged toward Liora, its jaws open wide.

Liora's heart pounded in her chest as she threw herself off the edge of the lifeboat, hitting the water with a cold, jarring splash. The icy sea enveloped her, stealing the breath from her lungs, but she pushed through the shock, kicking her legs furiously as she swam away from the boat. Her only thought was to lead the creature as far from her crew as possible—she had no other plan.

She surfaced with a gasp, the fog swirling thick around her, making it nearly impossible to see. Her arms burned as she swam, the cold water biting into her skin. Behind her, the creature's massive form carved through the sea, the sound of its movement like thunder in the oppressive silence of the mist.

Liora risked a glance over her shoulder—and immediately regretted it.

The serpent's sleek body undulated through the water, its black eyes gleaming with a malevolent intelligence. It wasn't just an animal. There was something far more sinister behind its gaze—something ancient and patient, as though it had been waiting for this moment, for her.The flare had burned out, leaving her in near-total darkness. The only light came from the faint, eerie glow of the fog, reflecting off the blood-streaked water. The creature was gaining on her, its massive jaws opening wide, and Liora felt the cold grip of terror closing in.

She couldn't outrun it. She knew that. But she wasn't going to let it take her without a fight.Liora's hand went to her belt, fingers closing around the hilt of the small, serrated dagger she always carried. It wasn't much, not against something this size, but it was better than nothing. With a swift motion, she yanked it free, her teeth gritted against the cold.

The creature was almost upon her now, its immense shadow swallowing her whole as it surged forward. She could feel the pull of the water as its body moved, creating a powerful current that dragged her toward it. Liora braced herself, ready for the impact.And then it struck.

The creature's massive jaws snapped shut inches from her, the force of the water pulling her under. Liora barely had time to react as she was sucked into the churning depths, the icy cold of the water enveloping her completely. The pressure crushed her chest, and for a moment, she thought it was over—thought she was going to drown.

But instinct took over, and she kicked hard, her legs straining against the pull of the sea. Her head broke the surface, and she gasped for air, coughing as water splashed into her mouth. Her body ached, her limbs heavy with exhaustion, but she kept moving, desperate to stay alive.The serpent roared, a sound so loud and guttural that it vibrated through the water, shaking the very air around her. Liora gritted her teeth, her fingers tightening around the dagger as the creature reared back, preparing for another strike.This time, she was ready.

As the serpent lunged, Liora twisted in the water, ducking beneath its massive head at the last second. The creature's jaws snapped shut just above her, missing her by inches. In the same motion, she brought her dagger up, plunging it into the creature's side with all the strength she could muster.

The blade sank deep into the creature's flesh, and the serpent let out a deafening roar of pain, thrashing wildly in the water. Liora held on, her grip firm on the dagger's hilt as the serpent's body twisted and writhed around her. The water churned violently, and for a moment, she was caught in the creature's thrashing, tossed and spun as if she were nothing more than a rag doll.

Her lungs burned, the cold water stinging her skin as she struggled to keep her grip on the dagger. The serpent's strength was overwhelming, its powerful body coiling around her, dragging her under the surface again. The pressure was unbearable, the weight of the water crushing her chest, but she refused to let go.

She couldn't let go.Liora twisted the dagger, driving it deeper into the creature's side. The serpent let out another roar, and this time, it reared back, pulling its massive body away from her. Liora's hand slipped from the hilt as the creature thrashed violently, and she was thrown backwards, hitting the water hard.

Her body screamed in protest, every muscle burning with exhaustion, but she forced herself to surface again, gasping for breath. The serpent was still thrashing in the water, its massive form writhing in pain, but it wasn't finished. Not yet.

Liora barely had time to react before the creature turned its attention back to her. Its black eyes gleamed with rage, its jaws opening wide as it lunged for her again.

She braced herself, but before the serpent could strike, something unexpected happened.A flare of light shot through the fog, cutting through the darkness like a blade. It was another flare—this time fired by the crew from the lifeboat. The bright orange glow illuminated the creature's massive form, casting eerie shadows across the surface of the water.

The serpent hesitated, its attention drawn to the light. Liora took advantage of the momentary distraction, swimming as fast as she could toward the lifeboat. Her muscles screamed in protest, her lungs burning, but she didn't stop. She couldn't.

Behind her, the creature let out a deafening roar and thrashed violently in the water, torn between its prey and the sudden, blinding light of the flare. The flare burned bright, crackling and hissing as it floated in the water, and the serpent recoiled from it, its massive body writhing as it tried to escape the light.

"Liora! Over here!" Finn's voice rang out through the fog, and Liora's heart leapt as she spotted the lifeboat, barely visible through the mist. Finn was standing at the bow, waving his arms wildly, his face lit by the glow of the flare.

She swam toward the boat with everything she had left, her arms and legs burning with exhaustion. The water around her churned as the serpent thrashed behind her, but it was distracted, momentarily blinded by the light.

With a final, desperate push, Liora reached the side of the lifeboat. Finn grabbed her by the arm, hauling her up and over the edge, her body collapsing onto the wooden planks in a heap. She gasped for breath, her entire body shaking from the cold and the sheer exhaustion of the fight.The crew scrambled to row the lifeboat away from the serpent, their faces pale with fear and determination. The fog swirled around them, but the flare still burned bright, its orange glow cutting through the darkness.

Liora lay on the deck of the lifeboat, her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath. Her mind raced, replaying the events of the past few minutes—the serpent, the dagger, the roar of the creature as it thrashed in the water. She had fought it off, but she knew the battle wasn't over.Finn knelt beside her, his face etched with concern. "You're crazy, you know that?" he muttered, though there was a hint of admiration in his voice. "But I guess that's why you're still alive."Liora managed a weak smile, though her body was trembling from the cold. "Did it work?"Finn nodded, glancing back at the water. "It's backing off—for now. But we need to keep moving."

Liora sat up slowly, her body aching, but she forced herself to focus. The serpent was still out there, lurking beneath the water, but the flare had given them a temporary reprieve. They had to use it.

"Keep rowing," she ordered, her voice hoarse but determined. "We're not out of this yet."The crew nodded, their faces grim, and they set to work, rowing the lifeboat as fast as they could. The flare burned on, casting its orange glow across the water, but Liora knew it wouldn't last forever.

The serpent was still hunting them, and the Scarlet Tides held more secrets than any of them could imagine.