Chapter 3

Hyrule Castle was a beautiful, wonderful place. As was the country it represented. Any person, no matter gender, age, or race, would go and have their dreams fulfilled in Hyrule, the land of dreams. It was.

And I was its crowing jewel, Princess Zelda.

Link and Inigo had made it to their commanding officer with two minutes to spare. They were told where their rooms were and they headed that way.

They were finally here: Hyrule fricken' Castle. Joining the knight program.

Inigo was looking at a map of the place, leading the way down the corridor in the basement.

He looked at a door. "This should be it."

Link quickly opened it and walked in. Inside there were two bunkbeds, a mirror, a closet, and a small basin that a stream of water was constantly flowing into. It was small and crowded. Two other men were already inside, one washing his face and the other lacing up his boot.

"Hello! I'm Link. Link Myamoto." He took both their hands and shook.

"Hey guys." Inigo said. He was already familiar with them.

"Where's Gerome?" One of them said.

Inigo explained how Link had won the decrees from him, only to have a kind heart and bring him. You could tell the other men didn't like it.

~•~

Zelda stood in her room, looking at an early wedding present her father had given her: a portrait of herself. A small one, drawn with ink in a scroll. She loved it. She was sitting at her vanity, staring at it, when someone knocked on her door. Before she could say, "Come in!" the door opened and Ganondorf walked in.

"Looking at that finger painting again?"

Zelda straightened up and hardened her facial features. "It was a gift from my father. Who said you could come in?"

"We are going to be married. Might as well get used to it."

Zelda rolled her eyes.

Meanwhile, my new protector was just arriving. She had been found when she had single-handedly saved a group of children from a monster. She was brought in to be my guardian. Her name was Impa. Anyway, she had shown up at her new post. She and I would grow very close.

The next day, the sun was shining all day, making the temperature very hot.

Link had a few moments before his training begun that day to laze about. He chose a nice secluded spot.

On one of the castle's many balconies. The balcony was to an abandoned guest room on an abandoned floor. Hyrule Castle had way too many rooms.

The wind was blowing in his face and he was smiling at the view and the sense of adventure.

Meanwhile, Zelda was having lunch with Ganondorf, her father, and a few other important people. Impa included. She had joined as Zelda's body guard, so she sat to the right of the grumpy princess.

They were chattering about nonsense in Zelda's opinion. She sat there silently, staring at her soup. She was sitting up straight just as a well brought up princess should be.

She turned to the waiter. "I'll take a glass of your finest whiskey."

People prattled onward, but her mother looked at her. "You know how I feel about alcohol at your age, Zelda. Especially whiskey."

The waiter placed it in front of Zelda and, maintaining eye contact with her mother, she took a sip. Ganondorf suddenly snatched it out of her hands and finished it off in one swig. "She knows."

Zelda kept her face relaxed. She noticed that Impa was giving Ganondorf a weird look.

He snapped his fingers at their server. "We'll both have the mulled wine I was told about."

Zelda just stared straight ahead. She didn't like wine.

"You like red wine, right, Hyrule's Jewel?" He was referring to Zelda.

Zelda plastered a fake smile on her face.

"Gonna feed her her soup too, Lord Ganondorf?" Impa asked, smiling coyly.

Zelda couldn't help but let a smirk rise to her lips. Ganondorf kept his cool.

Trying to create conversation, Impa asked, "Is it true that the legendary sword is in this Castle?"

Ganondorf scoffed. "It's a thing of fairy tales."

"It's still interesting." Zelda spoke up. "And no. Legend has it that it's in the Temple of Time. But only the Hero of Time can wield it."

Ganondorf laughed again. "Fairy tales."

"Why? Scared are you?" Zelda snapped.

The table went silent. Impa and Daphnees suppressed giggles while Adelaide straightened up. "What's gotten into you?" She hissed.

Zelda stood and threw down her napkin. "Excuse me." And she left the room.

"I deeply apologize." Adelaide said right away. "I'm sure she didn't hint that you were going to hurt us or commit treason and for us to need a Hero."

"She's a fireball." Impa chuckled. "Hope you can handle her, Lord."

Ganondorf glared at her. "I'll just have to watch where she's getting her ideas, that's all, Impa."

Impa's smile faded.

~•~

Link was tugging his sword out of a dummy. Inigo stood next to him, holding the dummy still.

"Farore, Link. How hard did you stab it?"

Link grunted as he tried to pull it out. "No clue. Not too hard."

"God this castle is beautifully built." Inigo looked up at all the towers. He brushed his sweaty dark gray hair out of his eyes. He wasn't old at all. He was in his early twenties and he had dark gray hair. Everyone teased him about it.

Link looked up at where he was looking.

Inigo continued to blather on. "Do you think we will eventually get paid for being guards? Link? Liiiink?"

Link was staring at the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. She was standing on a balcony, looking at everything. She had a grumpy look on her face but she was still ravishingly beautiful. Link was transfixed by her. His mouth had even gone slack.

Inigo followed his line of sight. "Ah. The goddess Nayru herself will sooner fly out of your ass before she even acknowledges your existence."

Inigo. Eloquent as usual.

Link couldn't stop staring at her. Even when she glanced down and they made eye contact. She looked away then looked back. And they held each other's eyes for a minute.

Inigo waved his hand in front of Link's face. "Liiiink."

Ganondorf walked out onto the balcony where Zelda was. He said a few words to her, grabbing her arm. She snapped something back at him, pulling her arm out of his grasp. They exchanged a few angry words before she stomped back inside and Ganondorf pushed his hand through his hair in frustration.

Link sighed. "Do you know who that was?"

Inigo shrugged. "A princess? A duchess? Who knows?"

For the rest of the day, Link could think of nothing but the beautiful girl he saw.