Dioyote Pups

A/N: since I've been making so many dioyote subspecies, here's some info about the pups.

Dioyote pups are born blind and deaf and unable to move. They lack any fur, teeth, and claws for defense and are completely helpless.

The gestation period differs between subspecies, but lasts between 2-4 months and the pup is underdeveloped. Dioyotes are marsupials, so after the mother cleans her pup by licking it and ensures the pup is alive and breathing, the mother puts the pup in her pouch.

The pups stay in the pouch for varying amounts of time before they are ready to leave. In this time they develop fur, claws, and begin growing their baby teeth.

A two day old plains Dioyote pup, five inches in length and weighing 3 and a half pounds:

When born, they have discolored bones with them being pale grey. They can open their eyes but can't see until their eyes gain the colored pupils. Their bones are also soft to help with a safe birth. Their heads are oversized and their limbs very small.

When they are able to first leave the pouch, they are developed enough to move, their bones have started to harden, and most can begin eating soft foods.

The pups first non milk meal is often something chewed by one of their parents so it is soft enough to eat.

With every social subspecies of dioyote, the entire pack helps raise pups.

Dioyotes are known to adopt orphaned pups, even if they are from different subspecies. They actually have very strong parental instincts.

Most Dioyotes are androgynous as a result of their ancestors being created in a lab, so all of them can produce milk, so occasionally other pack members help feed the pups.

All Dioyotes have a pouch and most allow any pups in the pack that are under the age of being banned from the pouch to ride in their pouch.

The older siblings will help teach younger siblings to hunt and play with them.

Most dioyotes only weigh a couple pounds at birth.

Most dioyotes wait at least two years between giving birth to another pup, but sometimes wait longer or shorter periods of time

The pouch of a dioyote almost never becomes to hot or cold for the pup, so they are always comfortable inside. The pouches are also water proof

Dioyote pups nurse inside their pouch

Dioyotes can close and open the pouch on command, allowing them to lock a pup outside or inside the pouch. They lock them out once they are of the age where they aren't carried inside or to wean them. They lock pups in the pouch while doing things like moving or during the early months so the pup doesn't fall out.

Baby dioyotes are called pups normally, but some also call them cubs or little bones

Young dioyotes rely heavily on their sense of smell.