Chapter 9: Owls of the Storm

When Cyroid slashed his glaive to destroy Covinski's rifle, the General quickly drew a combat knife to slice the weapon in half. He stabbed Cyroid in the chest but it broke, making Cyroid laugh. The mechanized man punched a metal fist into Covinski's chest and sent him flying. His red goggles glowed, firing scorching lasers that tore the trees apart.

"You're no match for me," Cyroid chased Covinski. "How can a human ever defeat a superior machine like me?"

The General didn't reply but chucked a grenade at Cyroid, enveloping him in smoke. Cyroid walked out unscathed as Covinski charged and fired his pistol. The mechanical human smirked as the bullets bounced off his armor until he ran out of ammunition. Covinski boxed Cyroid's chest with his fists, but the droid felt nothing. Cyroid punched Covinski and held him by the throat.

"How futile," Cyroid's goggles charged its scorching laser. "What do you hope to accomplish with your feeble attempts to defeat me, human?"

"You smug robot. I'm an old man, but you underestimate us humans," Covinski laughed and coughed blood. "Those weren't normal punches. Bet you didn't calculate that, hmm?"

Cyroid heard a beeping noise and realized his chest had tiny pellets clamped into his armored skin. Covinski planted them in with his fists.

"Do you droids get heart attacks like us old timers? Time to find out!" Covinski pressed a button on his belt, activating the pills to emit an EMP that burst through Cyroid's heart and nervous system. "This is for gassing our young kids, coward!"

"Th-that doesn't compute... that-this is illogical... incomprehensible... 0%," The mechanized man muttered nonsense, unable to talk as his circuitry overloaded.

His grip on Covinski loosened when the electricity made his goggles explode, leaving Cyroid limp on the ground.

"Handcrafted those little boogers from those Reaper Squad crossbows," General Covinski massaged his neck. "Been waiting to use them on a droid opponent. Not too shabby if I say so myself!"

The General then looked at the sky where condor frigates and chimaera battlecruisers battled to the death. "The rest is up to the UICA now. Give them Kneapexists a good ol boot out of this country!"

***

"Mommy! Mommy!" A wailing baby echoed through the darkness of the White House.

"Stop it! That ain't no baby!" Captain Arius ran after the naive Red Strix commandos. "Listen to me!"

The soldiers separated from the group and ventured deep into the abyssal halls to find the baby. Little did they know that their compassion was being preyed upon until they learned the hard way.

"What little dummies. Let me hear you scream! Weee!" Zentroid sang from afar, munching on the screaming soldiers. "I can't feel empathy, but I am entropy!"

The remnants of the squadron squirmed from the wicked laughter, knowing that the men that broke formation were too late to be saved.

"It's time we do something about that monster!" Magnus stomped.

"But how?" A commando asked. "Our guns can't scratch him!"

"May I propose an idea?" Forroway asked.

"Uh, sure?"

He told them his wild plan to take down Zentroid.

"Oh, hell no! That's not going to work!" Magnus violently shook his head. "It's too risky!"

"Zentroid is a sadistic creature that enjoys other peoples' suffering. He won't resist what I got in store for him!" Forroway coughed.

"With all due respect, Mr. President," Captain Arius worried. "I get that, but you might die!"