Chapter 7: Emphynixyion, the Branded Phoenix

Lord Emphynixyion, the Branded Phoenix

Level 799

HP: [799,999/799,999]

Trait 1: Pianissimo 001

Trait 2: Orbital Crescendo

Trait 3: Cognitohazard Staccato

"The final boss has 799,999?" Ritom squeaked. "That's a lot of nines."

"I never saw an enemy with three traits!" Knavus exclaimed.

Emphynixyion perched on a skyscraper, opening its beak to reveal a giant megaphone inside. It shrieked a painful, blaring air raid siren that made everyone's ears bleed.

"It hurts!" Naivern covered her ears. "What the? Our HP!"

The players checked their profiles in horror to see their HP dropped to one.

Shien Niang

Level 188

HP: [1/178,475]

-Terrorphobia-

"Pianissimo 001! That trait lowers all HP to one!" Phoenicia warned. "Terrorphobia prevents healing for one minute!"

"Hide in the buildings!" Mivangeline ordered.

As the players dispersed into the ruined skyscrapers, the phoenix landed on the corpse-filled terrain. It groomed its feathers and rotated its head in different directions like a real bird. Emphynixyion bounced like a sparrow, but its giant talons strangely didn't make a sound despite its immense size.

The phoenix's megaphone chirped ominous emergency alert sounds through its pulsating vocal cord as it hunted the hiding players. Emphynixyion pecked at the buildings, chomping on anyone it spotted. Everyone hid in terror, hoping the horrific minute of anti-heal would end as the giant bird hopped throughout the city. Emphynixyion was the bird, and everyone else was the bugs.

As Shien hid in a hotel lobby with Mivangeline, he covered his mouth when Emphynixyion dragged a player to the ground and held him down with its talons. Emphynixyion pecked and chewed into the screaming man, too similar to how a real-life chickadee would eat a caterpillar. Shien's heart pounded as the final boss disturbingly acted like any real-life bird with accuracy.

When Mivangeline noticed Elysia and Enshiron hiding in the other building beside them, she hand-signaled to Enshiron. Once the minute is over, shoot Vampiric Zephyr to heal us. Then, gather the nearby players to heal them with items.

Birds are not like that! Shien cringed when the boss howled emergency alert systems. That's not a bird or boss! It's a monster!

Mivangeline hugged Shien, trying her best to comfort him without making noise. Shien faced away and vomited.

Oh, crap! She panicked, looking at the windows to see if the phoenix heard them.

"I'm sorry," Shien coughed.

He looked at a window to see an enormous treble and bass clef eye staring at him. Shien shrieked as Emphynixyion cocked its head with bird-like curiosity before pecking through the window to catch its next prey.

"Avian Form: Shoebill Thunderforce!" Mivangeline launched a hard knuckle into Emphynixyion's blue beak.

The phoenix tumbled and screamed emergency sirens, wiping its beak with its wing. Finally, the minute that felt like hours of terror ended. Enshiron rushed behind the final boss and fired Vampiric Zephyr to heal all nearby allies. The blood arrow crashed into Emphynixyion, making it tumble into a ruined hospital.