Chapter 3: Guardian Inveticus

"Iagen is a very dangerous Vulpi who specializes in lies and deceit, Shien," Oreic warned as he checked the cockpit of a cardinal fighter. "And I'm worried about how far your mother has gone."

"Mom's always been there for me when I was hurt," Shien wore a trench coat similar to the dark caidercoat he wore in Syanic Earth. "Now, Mom's hurting, and she needs me. I need to help her realize Iagen's lies."

"Then we'll help Isrina together."

"Shien, if you're going to find your Mom, I'm going too," Mivangeline offered.

"Are you sure you want to come along? You're probably tired. Why don't you rest with the gang? I caused enough trouble for you today.

She shook her head. "I cared for your mom before we attacked the Azir Citadel, and I couldn't stop worrying about her. I still wish to care for her and see Isrina happy."

"Mivange, thanks for taking care of Mom when I was away. And hey, I'm down if you want to tag along!"

***

Isrina ventured through the caverns that shone with shining crystals, listening to Iagen's directionality of the place. When she approached the blue temple doors that guarded Indeavorga's tomb, the Vulpi apprentices attacked her with their clarinet spears.

"Ouroboros Fang: Lunar Misfortune!"

Cracking and popping of joints sounded as Isrina's elbows dislocated, chain-punching the Vulpi with limbs that attacked like bending snakes. After knocking them out of the way, Isrina faced the locked door.

"Ouroboros Fang: Helshadow Serpente!"

Her arms twisted into cobra heads of melted flesh, each having four eyes and an upside-down human nose. They opened wide to fire acid that corroded the doors into smoke. Within the icy blue tomb was a rectangular sarcophagus, guarded by Guardian Inveticus.

"Isrina Niang. What happened to you?" The Vulpi guardian looked into Isrina's weary eyes surrounded by dark veins. "What happened to the legendary Desert Cardinal that the Vultau and UICA looked up to?"

Guardian Inveticus was a Vulpi man with ruffled blue hair and purple eyes. He held an ice hulusi woodwind and wore a turquoise Vultau robe.

"Get out of my way," Isrina growled.

"Please, Isrina. Speak of your emotions. Stop bottling them to yourself! I'm willing to listen. Your UICA friends like Saitori and Oreic would listen too. Don't forget the value of your companions!"

He lies. Iagen whispered to Isrina. Everyone failed to protect Shien. Nobody understands your troubles but me!

"Move or be destroyed!" She gnashed her teeth.

"Isrina, you're a fool to follow a scoundrel like Iagen instead of those close to you! Think of your son. Shien wouldn't want you to do any of this! Would he?"

"Ouroboros Fang: Draco Animus!"

Isrina's hand turned into a veined dragon that blasted demon fire at Inveticus. The Guardian played a peaceful tune on his hulusi to morph the bloody fire into crystal butterflies.

"Desert Cardinal! If I can't get to you, you leave me no choice. I will protect this sarcophagus from you!" Inveticus blew into his hulusi to command the crystal butterflies to attack Isrina.

While Isrina fought Inveticus, Master Oreic flew the Cardinal fighter towards the Niagara waterfalls with Shien and Mivangeline.

"Iagen is an Omaunukai," Oreic warned the couple. "They are demons who drink Vulpi blood to gain unnatural powers."