The Avengers (2012)

EXT. NORTH POLE - NIGHT

A vast, endless expanse of snow and ice stretches beneath a clear night sky, with faint auroras flickering in the distance. It's eerily silent, the kind of cold that seems to swallow sound whole. Blizzard winds whip through the desolate landscape, making visibility almost zero.

Out of the darkness, three SHIELD quinjet lights cut through the swirling snow, moving in low, blending into the night. The SHIELD emblem gleams under the frost as the aircraft hovers just above the icy ground.

---

INT. SHIELD QUINJET - SAME TIME

Inside the lead quinjet, MARIA HILL, cold, focused, taps the side of her helmet as the HUD display flickers with data. She gives a glance to PHIL COULSON, who stands beside her, seemingly calm but with a sharp glint in his eyes.

COULSON
(serious but with a light tone)
Anton's gotta be freezing his Hydra badge off by now. We've been chasing this guy for months.

JASPER SITWELL, seated at a nearby console, frowns as he reviews the mission intel one last time.

SITWELL
The longer he stays off the radar, the more dangerous he becomes. Hydra's getting bolder.

COULSON
Anton knows every SHIELD protocol we've got—he used to be one of us. But tonight's his last run.

Maria looks over at Coulson, her expression unreadable but determined.

HILL
You think he's planning to run, or will he stand and fight?

COULSON
(grimly)
Anton's too proud to run. He'll fight. He'll lose, but he'll fight.

A sudden beeping noise echoes from the console. The HUD flares up, showing an aerial thermal scan of the HYDRA BASE buried under layers of ice and snow. The quinjet banks sharply to the right.

---

EXT. NORTH POLE - SKY - SAME TIME

Overhead, a red and gold streak cuts through the dark sky. IRON MAN flies high above the SHIELD quinjets, his repulsors humming steadily against the icy wind. Inside the suit, TONY STARK grins as his suit's systems ping with alerts.

HUD - IRON MAN'S SUIT POV

TONY (V.O.)
JARVIS, pick up anything yet?

JARVIS (V.O.)
Scanning, sir. No immediate signs of hostile activity. However, their external heat signatures suggest some rather desperate power usage.

EXT. NORTH POLE - AIR - CONTINUOUS

TONY
(smirking)
Oh, good. You know how much I love it when bad guys have a low energy bill. Coulson, you're on the ground yet?

---

INT. SHIELD QUINJET - SAME TIME

Coulson taps his earpiece as he walks toward the loading ramp of the quinjet, where SHIELD operatives, fully armed, are waiting for the green light. He shares a brief smile, a rare moment of levity.

COULSON
(into comm)
Good to hear from you, Tony. You still owe me dinner, by the way. You wouldn't be standing here if it weren't for me saving your tail two years ago.

---

EXT. NORTH POLE - SAME TIME

Iron Man flies closer, his HUD flashing with proximity alerts.

TONY
(chuckling)
Maybe I should hire you to take down my 6 other evil ex's.

---

EXT. HYDRA BASE - NIGHT