Chapter 10: Facing The Truth

The air outside was still and cool as Allora walked next to Xander, her thoughts swirling with everything that had happened over the past few days. She had noticed the shift in their dynamic, felt the way Xander's lingering touches and soft words had grown more intentional. It wasn't that she didn't like Xander—he was funny, charming, and easy to be around—but the tension between them was undeniable now, and she couldn't keep ignoring it.

They had just finished another study session, but this time, something hung in the air between them. It was thick, unspoken, but Allora knew it was time to address it. She couldn't avoid it any longer.

Xander looked over at her, his hands casually tucked into his jacket pockets, his usual smile faltering just a bit. "You're awfully quiet tonight."

Allora swallowed, her chest tightening. She had rehearsed the words in her head a dozen times, but saying them out loud felt like stepping onto a ledge.

"Xander," she began slowly, glancing up at him, "we need to talk."

His expression shifted, the playfulness draining from his face as he stopped walking. He turned to face her fully, his eyes searching hers for a moment before he let out a soft sigh. "I had a feeling this was coming."

Allora bit her lip, her heart pounding in her chest. "I just... I think you're great. You've become a really good friend, and I love spending time with you. But..."

"But you don't feel the same way," Xander finished for her, his voice surprisingly calm.

She nodded, her gaze dropping to the ground. "I'm sorry."

For a moment, there was silence between them, broken only by the distant sound of the wind rustling through the trees. Allora braced herself for awkwardness, for hurt, but when she finally looked up, Xander's expression was soft—not angry, not upset, just... resigned.

"Don't be sorry," he said quietly, a small, understanding smile tugging at his lips. "I knew it was a long shot. I just thought... well, I thought maybe there was a chance."

Allora's chest ached. She hated hurting him, even if he was taking it so well. "You're amazing, Xander. You really are. But... I just don't feel that way about you."

He nodded, running a hand through his hair. "I get it. And hey, I'm glad you told me instead of letting it drag on."

Allora felt a wave of relief wash over her, grateful that he wasn't angry. Xander was taking this better than she had expected, and it made her feel even worse. But as she looked at him, she realized that their friendship mattered too much to let it be ruined by something like this.

"I still want to be friends," she said, her voice hopeful. "I like hanging out with you, and I don't want this to change that."

Xander chuckled softly, his usual charm returning, even if just a little. "You're not getting rid of me that easily, Whitestone. Friends it is."

Allora smiled, the knot in her chest loosening. "Thank you."

They stood there for a moment longer, the tension between them easing into something more familiar, more comfortable. And just like that, the weight of what had been building between them dissipated. They were still friends, and that was enough.