Chapter 16

Noah

After a successful appointment at the house, Nick had to go back to work. I actually wanted to get things done, but I was just emotionally tired for work. 

But what I was motivated to do before we went to dinner was meet Carla. I was going to meet her for lunch in a conservatory. Nick wrote to me beforehand that everyone had agreed to meet for dinner. My mom and so of course wrote me why and what was going on. I didn't answer. When I got there, I searched the tables for Carla. She waved to me, and I walked happily over to her. We hugged each other and stayed like this for a few seconds. 

"I miss you so much at work, Noah! When are you coming back?" We sat down, and she looked at me excitedly. "I hope soon, but our dear boss won't let me." When the waiter arrived, we ordered something to drink and thought about what we wanted for dinner. Carla ordered pasta, and I ordered a soup with bread.

I didn't know how to talk to her about it. Should I ask her directly? Or indirectly? "How's it going with your friend? You wanted to show me another photo?" "Sure, wait a minute." She pulled out her phone and swiped through her photos. Then she held me a picture where you could see their two faces. I expected anything but this. His face wasn't Michael's. I didn't know whether to be happy or sad about it. "Noah, are you okay?" My mind went back to Carla. "You guys are cute. Does he get along with your family?" She took her phone back and shrugged. "It takes getting used to. But it will." We toasted each other and enjoyed the food. "How are you? How are Nick and Andy?" "All right. We're all going to dinner with family today."

"You seem like you have a lot on your mind and you're hiding something. Get out, Noah, what's up." Should I tell her? I trusted her, only I trusted the wrong people sometimes. What could happen? "Carla, I'm pregnant. And the one other thing is about the guy who made us trouble. It's all complicated."

"Oh, omg, I'm so happy for you! You deserve the best, and now another baby for you is awesome! And the guy thing, whatever. You're strong and you can do it. And if you need someone to kick you or their ass, give me a call."  She was very excited and really happy for us. "Thank you. Really." The rest of the dinner went pretty well, and we had good conversations. The food passed way too fast, unfortunately, but unfortunately, we both had to leave. She had to go back to work. I had to pick up Andy from preschool.

Andy had a soccer game after school and I drove him and watched him. It was important for me to be there for all the important events of my kid and not miss anybody. Nick was usually there too, except there was too much stress with the company. When he got to the field, he took my hand and ran proudly down the field to the others. "I'll score four goals today, Mom. I'll score them for you!" Laughing, I handed him his sports bag. "I'm so proud of you! Have fun. Play fair." 

While Andy was changing with the others, I went to see the other moms and dads. Nick and I both disliked some parents. They were very prejudiced about us. Not because of Andy, but because Nick and I were step-siblings. I didn't pay much attention to them, so instead I sat down with my parents' group. The mothers had become young mothers themselves, and they didn't have the typical relationships. They didn't judge and respect others.

"Hey Noah, how are you?" I gave them a little hug and told them what was new. Everyone had interesting things to say, and what you heard was very funny. Eventually, the game started, and Andy's team was leading. I cheered him on loudly and everybody cheered as he scored more goals. 

I quickly pulled out my cell phone to take a picture for Nick. I wanted Nick to be able to witness this. Not live, but that the picture gives him a memory. 

"Are we going to take pictures to indicate which child is the best?" I turned around in alarm and looked at Johnny's face. "Oh my God Johnny, you're back! How are you?" I met Johnny when I took Andy to kindergarten for the first time. We got along well, so our kids were all right. Nick liked him too and had no problem when I met him alone, especially because he was gay. We hugged each other, and he gave me a cup of cocoa. The other moms looked funny at me and Johnny, but we didn't care at all. 

He sat down next to me and in our mothers' group. "I have to be honest, I missed coming to the games. But I'm feeling better now after the knee surgery. I'm glad to see my daughter. Lukas would like to be here too, only his mother is in town and he has to show her everything." "His mother's in town? How are you doing? She wasn't so enthusiastic about you." I took a sip of my cocoa and watched him react. He laughed and simulated a bullet in his head. 

"She made our neighbor cry after five minutes. Amy was done with her. Lukas started thinking about becoming an alcoholic after three hours. So it's normal. What's it like with you?" "Well, we've got a good day and a bad day. Nick's expanding his company, Andy's about to start school, and ..." "You're pregnant." Laughing, he looked at me and I was stunned. How did he know? "Shut up. How do you know?" "Bitch, I notice this. You look so changed. You glow with your skin. Congratulations." 

He wrapped an arm around me, and our eyes turned to our children. "Thank you, Jo." I enjoyed being close to him. There was always something comforting about him. "Boy or girl? Do you know?" "No, not yet. We're going to find out in the next few weeks. Today we're going to tell our family." He looked at me with amusement. "This time can only be better than last time." Laughing, I punched him in the arm. "You asshole! It was a different situation last time. Now they're more relaxed and nobody's in the hospital."

"If you say so, Carrie. How's William? He was on the news about his company and the fire." My thoughts sent a shiver down my spine. "He's doing better. He's recovering well." Smiling, I tried to stay strong and maintain my facade. Johnny nodded absently and squeezed me. A message from Nick woke me up, and he asked how it was going. I forgot to send him the photo. So I sent it to him with the attachment he won. He stopped writing and went offline. Andy's team had won, and everybody was cheering for them. Andrew looked up at me in the stands, and I could see his pride and joy. Nick and I were very fortunate to be his parents. After all the players shook hands, they changed. Johnny and I waited for our kids and welcomed them with pride when they came to us. "You were great kids!" Andy hugged me and I enjoyed it. 

"I hope you're hungry for tonight, Andy?" "And like Mom! I could eat a whole pizza." Laughing, he held his stomach. Jo looked at me with a mischievous grin on his lips. We hugged goodbye and went our separate ways. While I was driving us home, Andrew was sleeping in the back, and my eyes would glance into the rearview mirror at him every now and then. Was I obviously ready to be a mother again? Sure, you do a lot of things wrong with your first child, and you should do better with the next one. But can we give him everything? Sure, we're mostly covered by Nick financially, but also in family terms, just with security? He was waiting for us. He was looking at our family. He was looking at Andrew then, and now looking at our baby? It was a terrible uncertainty. 

I was ready for his next blow, no matter what. He should get dressed warm. If you mess with one of us, you mess with all the Leisters!