💔Just Not Right (SaneOba)

(This is just a draft I left incomplete a while back, might as well post something that I have even though it might not be the best)

⚠️TW: Strong language, toxic relationships⚠️

Footsteps that crushed fallen autumn leaves echoed in the small valley by the Serpent Hashiras house, he- and the Wind Hashira, strolled along the dirt pathway, paved from previous steps taken down this ravine. A cool Fall breeze whistled through emptying branches, blowing leaves off them in the process and sticking them on the ground- or in someones hair..

The taller, short haired man looked down at Iguro, leaves piling up and tangling in his longer raven hair without him even noticing as he talked to Shinazugawa.

"I think we should take a break, your shitty haircut is turning orange-" Sanemi suggested, chuckling to himself as he untangled a leave and showed it to him

"Oh fuck my hair- thanks for pointing that out, I was a bit too distracted I guess" Obanai laughed, finding a fallen log and sitting down on top. He struggled to get a lot of the leaves out without messing the tangling up more, but Sanemi offered to help, carefully combing and pulling them through and out. Sanemi couldn't help but smile to himself as a pink blush dusted across his face from the closeness of this, however his holy moment got interrupted by Iguro speaking up.

"Thanks Shinazugawa, you're being really gentle. You're like Kanroji-san when she brushes through my hair to braid it...what a woman.." Iguro muttered, hiding his face and getting all shy when he thought of that woman, her bubbly personality and her beautiful pink and green hue of braids.

Sanemi had gotten the last leaf out and flicked it away, standing up quickly and walking away, waiting enough for Iguro to follow to continue the walk. Shinazugawa s day was already ruined now, however..

Obanai kept talking about Mitsuri, and how he so adored her, how he wished he could be pure like her to deserve her. His conversations always tended to wander towards his passion for her which pissed Sanemi off.

"I'm thinking of asking her out for ramen tomorrow..can you give me any advise..?" Obanai asked, stopping and turning to Sanemi, who had an already sour expression deepen with envy.

"Do whatever the fuck you want, it's not my goddamm problem" Sanemi spat back, averting his eyes from Iguro. He was taken aback by the sudden mood change but wasn't too surprised knowing his temper issues, he can quite snappy for little reasons which Obanai got frustrated with a lot.

"Sheesh chill, are you just mad you're still single? Miss your fake girlfriend? Kanae was it?" Iguro snapped. Sanemi turned back towards him, veins on his face began getting more visible with his fuming anger.

"You. Keep. Her. Name. Out. Of. Your. FUCKING. MOUTH."

Obanai stood directly in front of him, staring him down with a hand on his hip. "You said you got over her. So get over your dead crush. You said you already liked somebody so get her out of your head." He huffed, rolling his eyes at his perceived immaturity.

"YOU TRY HAVING MITSURI GETTING KILLED BEFORE YOU COULD TELL HER EVERYTHING AND NOT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. SEE IF YOU FULLY FORGET HER DIPSHIT"

"KEEP HER OUT OF THIS FUCKER!"

. . .

There was a moment of silence before Sanemi strikes away deeper along their planned path, Obanai needed to cool down so he stayed behind for a minute.

Sanemi tried to wipe away small teardrops from his face, he wanted to boil with anger, not breakdown. His footsteps were heavy and crushed the leaves and twigs in his way, helping to muffle some sounds that came out from stifling his sadness. Thinking of Kanae got easier for him along the years but fighting with Iguro? He always felt guilty with what he'd say, he always wondered why he still stayed friends with him even after those times.

As soon as he heard the quick pitter patter and crunches of Obanai trying to catch up, he hurriedly composed himself from the sniffling and gasps from crying. After he had caught up, he continued to walk next to him.

"Have you been..crying Shinazugawa?" Obanai asked, noticing his red eyes and tear stained face.

"Fuck no. I-I don't cry." Sanemi rushed out. Obanai raised a questionable eyebrow but shrugged it off.

"Listen, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you or brought Kanae up, I know how much she meant to you from what you tell me.." Obanai apologized, but was met with a soft glare from Sanemi.

Iguro huffed and rolled his eyes, already starting to get pissed again, "What?? I apologized. Get over it, you already said you liked somebody else! Yeah! I remembered that even when I was intoxicated."

Sanemi gently pushed him away from him, stopping the walk again and turning to face him.

"I do. I just want you to stop fucking talking about Mitsuri! It's always 'Mitsuri this' 'Mitsuri that' 'I love her so much but she'd never love mee!' BITCH SHE DOES BUT YOURE TOO FUCKING BLIND TO SEE IT- EVERYBODY KNOWS EXCEPT YOU"

Iguro was taken aback by the news, "She- she likes me back?"

"IM NOT FINISHED. YOU ALWAYS BRING UP HER NAME NO MATTER THE CONVERSATION TOPIC. YOURE ALWAYS SAYING 'OH I JUST TALKED WITH MITSURI' 'MITSURI LOOKED SO PRETTY TODAY' 'I HOPE SHES DOING OKAY TODAY' AND SHES ALWAYS WITHIN EYES DISTANCE FROM YOU, ITS FUCKING PATHETIC" Sanemi mocked, interrupting Obanai with his process. This upset him more, he was getting real protective of Mitsuri and the badmouthing she was receiving.

"WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT MY LOVELIFE? DO YOU FUCKING LIKE HER? YOU DONT FUCKING DESERVE HER WITH YOUR RAT FACE AND BIRD NEST OF A HEAD OF HAIR." Iguro insulted, poking Sanemi's bare chest quite harsh, causing it to slightly bruise.

"NO YOU IDIOT I LIKE YOU!!"

...

Sanemi had just confessed, he turned away after realizing what he just said while also hiding his new urge to cry again. Obanai tried to reach his hand out to his shoulder but hesitated, unsure of how to feel, he felt bad about insulting his only friend especially after this.

Sanemi turned back around to face Iguro, tears rolling down his cheeks.

"What does she have that I don't..?" Sanemi choked out, sobs making his voice a mere whisper laced with pauses to gasp for air. He fell to his knees, hiding his face in his hands as his tears fell onto the dirt below, his breath shaky and quick as he tried to stop but couldn't.

"Sanemi I...you know I don't- swing like that...I can't- I can't know you..like that..." Obanai whispered, ultimately rejecting his confession. "You're my friend, best friend..and nothing more..."

Obanai held out his hand to help Sanemi up, wiping his tears as he stood.

"I know...it's just..why would you act so fondly towards me? You'd cradle me in your arms when I was at a low point and vice versa. I just needed to tell you at least..."