Knowing

The next day, at night, at dinner time, my family and I were waiting at the door.

I rang the bell and, Mary, Sheldon's mother, my mother-in-law, answered.

She was a very special religious person. If I saw her that way, imagine God. She was a loving mother, but she fought when necessary.

I think her greatest desire was for her entire family to serve the Lord. But it didn't work out very well, or exactly as she wanted, since Sheldon was an atheist. I even tried to convince him, but today, he only serves God because of me and because of her. But this stubborn guy is still stubborn.

She smiled when she saw us, and introduced herself to my mother, Marianne, and my sister, Mandy.

They are the treasures of my life, and always will be. That's why I was so happy when they were treated so well at that dinner. But the funniest thing was when Georgie, the older brother of the twins, Sheldon and Mellissa, saw that I had an older sister too, she was just talking to Mary, at the entrance, while I was already going in and going to talk to the twins being run over by Georgie, going towards my sister, like a racing car, with a huge smile.

-Hi? -He said in surprise, extending his hand. -I'm Georgie, nice to meet you. Are you Maya's older sister? And... Oh, sorry. Hi, are you her sister, also?

He said this to my mother, a typical move.

-Oh. No, I'm the mother of both. Nice to meet you, boy.
-Got it. You can come in.
-Thank you. -My sister, she said.

Mary has never been so surprised. Bu it's no surprise that when it comes to girls, Georgie becomes a different person.

(...)

At the beginning of dinner, we went to pray, and since I was next to Sheldon, I had to hold his hand, but he was wearing gloves, of course.

After that, our parents started talking, and Sheldon was telling me all the discoveries he had made that day, doing some research on philosophy and engineering, and he ended up saying that he hated both subjects. Well, so did I.

I felt Missy, a little quiet, I thought and asked Sheldon quietly if he knew if something had happened to her, but he couldn't say.

I lost focus a little when Georgie started flirting with my sister. She was horrified, actually, I think I was, because she was even smiling. I don't know how.

As we ate, I noticed that Georgie ate like a pig, Mary was the most delicate, Missy and I were eating normally, and Sheldon wasn't even eating yet, he was too preoccupied with separating the peas from the corn.

I told you he was unique.

-So, Maya, what do you want to do with your life? -Sheldon's father asked.
-I'll probably be a neurologist, biologist or doctor. I love studying medicine, the brain, nature and animals. They are perfect creations of God.
-How beautiful, dear. -Said Mary, the mother. -God, he really is an artist.
-And who said that God exists?
-The Bible, Sheldon.
-But it's just a book of legends.
-Well... The Word of God may be a legend to you, but to me, the Big Bang is too. You know, it's just a theory, right? There's no proof, it's not a fact. So, for that, you also have faith. But we have faith in different things. You, a coincidence. And I, a creation. Right?
-Uh... -He looked up, trying to think of something to say to me. -Maybe.

His family was impressed that I had made him quiet.

-Look, Maya, you can come more often, you're a blessing. -George, the brother, said, smiling.
-Georgie! -Said, Mary.
-Please! -Said, Missy.
-Missy!