Chapter5 Kill the Wolf King

The young men, besieged by wolves, had no time to care about what was happening behind them. Two zombies rushed towards the wolf pack. The Azure Wind Wolves, sensing the presence of life, charged forward. Three of the wolves changed direction and lunged at the zombies. Their sharp fangs sank into the arms of the first zombie, only to find it felt like biting into solid stone. With a careless flick of its arm, the first zombie hurled one of the wolves into an ancient tree. The impact likely shattered the beast's spine, leaving it whimpering on the ground, unable to rise. Another wolf leaped at the second zombie, only to have its throat pierced by the creature's black claws. Suspended in mid-air, the wolf was then slammed into a third wolf. In mere seconds, the two zombies had effortlessly dispatched the three wolves.

Witnessing the power of his zombies, Kui Ge was thrilled. Though their speed was slow, their strength and defense were undeniably formidable. In terms of raw power and resilience, these ordinary zombies were on par with third-tier magical beasts. However, they fell short in other aspects compared to different species.

Just as Kui Ge was reveling in excitement, his summoned Peashooter began to show its might. "Come, taste the power of my little peas!" A childish boy's voice echoed in Kui Ge's mind. A green projectile shot out from the Peashooter's launcher with such speed that even Kui Ge could only catch a fleeting glimpse of a green blur. With a sharp "thud," like piercing through thin paper, the head of the wolf knocked over by the second zombie was penetrated, leaving a coin-sized hole. The wolf twitched twice before falling silent.

"What power! It's almost as strong as a handgun—and it can even auto-aim!" Kui Ge exclaimed, watching in excitement as the Peashooter readied itself to fire again. In the blink of an eye, another green pea shot out, killing another wolf.

"Awooo!" The massive Azure Wind Wolf noticed something amiss from behind and howled, leading five or six wolves toward Kui Ge. It seemed they intended to eliminate the rear threat before finishing off the humans who were soon to be their prey.

The true danger of magical beasts lies not only in their ferocity but in their ability to use magic. The Azure Wind Wolves, being second-tier magical beasts, were no exception. However, as with humans, not every wolf could wield magic—only their leader had the powerful wind blade magic comparable to that of a scholar-level mage.

In the blink of an eye, three more wolves fell to the zombies and the Peashooter. Enraged, the wolf leader howled again, summoning a massive wind blade over a meter long and slashing it towards the first zombie. Too slow to evade, the zombie had its head cleanly severed by the swift attack.

However, unlike ordinary creatures, zombies do not die from decapitation. Only by destroying their hearts can they truly be killed. The first zombie continued to tear apart two wolves with its bare hands before finally collapsing, disintegrating into black ash scattered by the wind. The second zombie fared no better, its body sliced by several smaller wind blades, leaving one arm hanging by a thread.

Soon, the second zombie was also torn apart by wind blades and wolves, disintegrating into ash. Kui Ge realized that slain zombies did not restore his mental energy; only by removing plants or unsummoning zombies could he recover it.

But there was no time to dwell on that now, as the wolf leader and three remaining wolves were less than ten meters away from Kui Ge. In such a short time, they had slaughtered over a dozen of their own pack members. The leader, filled with rage, fixed its fierce gaze on the human hiding behind the tree. A pale blue wind blade began to form once again, ready to cleave the human in two.

A bead of sweat dripped down Kui Ge's forehead. He hadn't expected his two zombies to be dealt with so quickly. At such close range, there was no time to summon more. Just as the wind blade was nearly complete, a green blur shot through the air, piercing the head of the wolf leader and killing it instantly. The unfinished wind blade lost control and slashed into the ground nearby, leaving a deep gash.

The remaining two wolves, seeing their leader slain, bared their sharp teeth and, with bloodshot eyes, charged at Kui Ge. "Oh heavens, save me!" Kui Ge screamed, clutching his head in terror—he was no match for these beasts!

After a few tense moments, Kui Ge slowly lowered his hands, realizing that there was no movement. Before him stood a woman in a robe of emerald green. The robe, though not voluminous, accentuated her figure with its elegant curves. Intricate patterns adorned the fabric, while her brown hair cascaded down her back. In her fair hands, she held a green staff, and as she turned, she revealed a delicate, flawless face. Kui Ge swore that this was the image of the perfect goddess he had always envisioned. If possible, he would ask her to bear his children. No, wait—he meant to say, marry him!

"Are you alright?" Her sweet voice interrupted Kui Ge's reverie, like fine wine soothing his nerves. "I-I'm fine," Kui Ge stammered after a few moments, waving his hands awkwardly. Embarrassed, he realized that he had made a fool of himself in front of such a beauty. He should have been the hero rescuing her from the wolves, but instead, it was the other way around. No, it was more like the beauty saving a fool.

Glancing over at the two remaining wolves, Kui Ge saw them tightly bound by thorny vines, their breath shallow as they were nearly strangled to death. In the distance, a man wielding a yellow trident-like weapon made quick work of the wolves, smashing them into bloody bits. With the wolf leader dead, the remaining Azure Wind Wolves tucked their tails between their legs and fled.

"Thank you, kind mage, for your timely assistance. Without you, we students would have been in great danger," the woman said after clearing the battlefield and approaching Kui Ge.

"Oh, it was nothing. Just doing what any human should. My name is Kui Ge," he replied, feeling flustered by the gentle tone of his goddess, who was now speaking to him so kindly. He was unaccustomed to talking to women of such beauty.

"Thank you, Kui Ge. My name is Luna. I'm an instructor at Cruz Academy in Tamar City. I brought a few students here for some field training, but we were ambushed by a fifth-tier Blaze Tiger. After managing to lure it away, we didn't expect to run into a pack of Azure Wind Wolves. This Eternal Forest is indeed full of peril," Luna said, her voice still tinged with fear. As a high mage, she was a level below the fifth-tier magical beast, and since she specialized in plant magic, she was not adept at combat.

"That sounds incredibly dangerous! We should leave this place at once," Kui Ge urged, still shaken by the close encounter. He had nearly been devoured by that wolf, and while Luna and the other man had dealt with the wolves so effortlessly, he had no desire to encounter anything stronger in this treacherous forest.